The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Purchasing an NA. Advice?

Guest Budz86

Guest Budz86

Not sure if this belongs in this section so if it doesn't can a mod please move.

I am on the verge of buying a '94 N/A manual from E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-TOYOTA-SUPRA-WHITE_W0QQitemZ180262294781QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180262294781&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Took her out for a drive and she seems to run sweet. Started from cold and no smoke. Water pump just changed with new brake pads and cam belt. 140k km (86k miles). clutch feels good and could see no leaks of any kind. Drove smoothly and steering felt tight, but a bit of play when turning left. Just been MOT'd last week. Has the smaller J-spec brakes and bodywork appears good. Exhaust is aftermarket and sounds sweet.

I am affraid the car will sell in the next few days before I can get it checked by a mechanic. Is there anything else I can/need to look at myself. I am contemplating buying it, then getting it checked. It it worth the risk? Personally can't see anything wrong with it, but havn't owned a supe before and I'm not a professional. :blink:

Any advice here will be much appreciated. I would still get it looked over once purchased as it's still limited (which is criminal! :eyebrows: ) and not sure when it was last serviced so might as well get that done while she is away.

Thanks,

Dean

Where abouts in Sussex is it? There might be a few folks that can help out.

Edit - just noticed the postcode - it's near Eastborne.

And no, it doesn't belong in tech. Moved to Chat, which will more than likely get you more views.

Guest Budz86

Sorry.

Its in Hailsham. Spoke to Matt earlier and he is going to see if he can come and look at it. Thing is, I can't take it to him as it has no tax. Also, is 4.5k a good price ?

Mate , have a look in the for sale section here .

With a car like the supra you want to know its been looked after and cared for properly , you'll find the majority of owners here take care of their cars regardless of costs - I was much happier buying my supra from a member here .

That price is not good. Does he have anything to verify the mileage??

I pickedf up a 96 Facelift manual for 5k...........17 months ago. Prices have come down since then. Unless it is an absolute mint ball then I would suggest you are paying way too much.

H.

As mentioned all of the above, too pricey and no mileage verification ! with the price of petrol and everything else, i would bide your time and sure a bargain will soon emerge for a far less than this one, def. look in the classifieds !! ;)

I'm looking at importing a mint 98 black manual NA and have been quoted £7500-£9000. That's beginning to sound expensive given this thread.

and the more that come over the more the prices will fall, the market is now flooded with supras and with the economy heading for a big slump the prices will fall even further, it will be a long time before supras prices ever go back up if at all,:(

and the more that come over the more the prices will fall, the market is now flooded with supras and with the economy heading for a big slump the prices will fall even further, it will be a long time before supras prices ever go back up if at all,:(

That's my concern. I think if I pay 8k for an NA then the depreciation is going to be huge.

I'd pay a little extra because I want a car in excellent condition and I'm going to be keeping it for many years.

Guest Budz86

I am getting the impression that 4.5k is over the top, especially since it will cost another £200 to tax and other 'start up' cost's. Also, as there is no tax it is registered as SORN, and I don't even know where to start about informing the DVLA that it's back on the road (although I can't imagine it's too hard, especially with the knowledge of the club!).

I am thinking of offering him 3.5k and telling him it needs to be taxed.

Plus, I have been looking at the kit on it, and he says it's a factory fitted kit by Toyota. Not sure if thats true, opinons please?

Dean

I am getting the impression that 4.5k is over the top, especially since it will cost another £200 to tax and other 'start up' cost's. Also, as there is no tax it is registered as SORN, and I don't even know where to start about informing the DVLA that it's back on the road (although I can't imagine it's too hard, especially with the knowledge of the club!).

I am thinking of offering him 3.5k and telling him it needs to be taxed.

Plus, I have been looking at the kit on it, and he says it's a factory fitted kit by Toyota. Not sure if thats true, opinons please?

Dean

i would say that is bs if you look at pic 3 the skirts dont look fitted right, the top line looks like its on an angle