The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No BOV on large turbo at high boost

jevansio

I know it's already been asked about not running BOV's on cars, & that it's supposedly OK, but I can anyone (esp CW :D) give me confirmation that's it's still OK on a large turbo running high boost (T51R @ 1.6 BAR).

I'll be replacing my IC pipework with custom stuff the exact diameter of my throttle body all the way through (incl FIMC endtanks) and would be a good opportunity to dump the BOV.

I know it's already been asked about not running BOV's on cars, & that it's supposedly OK, but I can anyone (esp CW :D) give me confirmation that's it's still OK on a large turbo running high boost (T51R @ 1.6 BAR).

I'll be replacing my IC pipework with custom stuff the exact diameter of my throttle body all the way through (incl FIMC endtanks) and would be a good opportunity to dump the BOV.

are you slowly losing your chaviness jay:D:p

When i first got the T88 supe it never had a dump valve for a few months...... but it did blow up:d think it was more due to the 1.8bar i was running;)

Was it the turbo itself that failed Jamie?

are you slowly losing your chaviness jay:D:p

Just got to sell my Burbery Cap & I'll be there, wanna buy it :p :D

off topic but how do you find the t51 turbo jay ??? Thinking of going that route myself

in the next 2 months

Havn't got it yet Shane, I'll let you know as soon as it's on though

PS I have just wrapped that lead up & the iPod connector, it'll be posted tomorrow :oops:

i have 2 x hks ssqv (dusty's reccomendation), already had one, was going to go with hks racing

i get no compressor stall at all now, i have one near the throttle body, and one about 2 feet from the turbo

I quite like the compressor stall noise :)

Who said it was ok to dump the BOV?:rolleyes:

Why would you risk putting excess forces on the shaft?

If your getting custom piping done I'd just use a recirculated tial 50mm, you shouldnt get compressor surge with one of those at your power

If you have the anti surge housings - which are an option you will be losing response

Just because doing away with something takes a long time to produce any results doesnt mean its ok

Keep your bov, and have it recirculated to dim the noise

Chris Wilson was who I first heard it off.

I know it's quite an "out there" idea, which is why I was after opinions, I'm still a little uncertain as what I don't want to do is destroy a T51R, if there's any doubt in my head when it comes to getting the pipes made I'll go with the safe option of my current Tial BOV.

I was helping a friend work on something VERY exotic at Donington today. A Nissan R90 CK Group C car, probably the most complex and fastest Group C car of the early nineties, if not all time excluding the V6 cars (these were twin turbo V8's) The electronics and pneumatics were simply awesome, as was the build quality and on track, its speed. Did it have a BOV? No. It did have ecu controlled twin IC bypass valves, WI, cockpit adjustable boost, mixture and timing, individual cylinder knock sensors, and EGT prbes that also were read and acted on by the ECU. Complex is actually an understatement. The engine ECU had 4 MIL connectors with about 300 pins in total.

I am sure if a BOV was a performance aid, or, as this was a winning 24 hour car, an aid to longevity, it would have had one or more. They are noise reducing devices, for production cars, and noise creating devices, for the aftermarket.

It's one of my favourite race cars of all time, chancing on it in the pit garages on a (albeit upmarket) track day was good enough, to find it being run by a pal of mine and given free access to it, inside and out was a dream. I am still on a high, a simply stunning machine.http://www.gatesgarth.com/NissanR90CK.JPG

It did have ecu controlled twin IC bypass valves,

What did these do, I gather they werent to aid compressor stall if they bypassed the IC?

BOV's may be one of those items that make logical sense but are not needed, but then you have to ask why toyota implemented one on their car to begin with, even at such low boost

They allowed pressurised air to bypass the 2 intercoolers unless the air temps went above a preset limit, thay then slowly opened to allow just enough air through the I/c's to keep air temps under control. Fully open ALL air went through the 2 I/c's, fully shut all air bypassed both I/c's. Very trick! If only I had a camera with me, the thing was awesome in complexity and execution.

Toyota used the BOV on the MKIV TT to quell noise, simple as that.

They allowed pressurised air to bypass the 2 intercoolers unless the air temps went above a preset limit, thay then slowly opened to allow just enough air through the I/c's to keep air temps under control. Fully open ALL air went through the 2 I/c's, fully shut all air bypassed both I/c's. Very trick! If only I had a camera with me, the thing was awesome in complexity and execution.

Very trick indeed:)

I had thought of a similar system that bypassed the compressor and IC to allow more N/A type response, but I guess there would be issues with leaks and its too much hassle for a road car - has this ever been done before?

I was helping a friend work on something VERY exotic at Donington today. A Nissan R90 CK Group C car, probably the most complex and fastest Group C car of the early nineties, if not all time excluding the V6 cars (these were twin turbo V8's) The electronics and pneumatics were simply awesome, as was the build quality and on track, its speed. Did it have a BOV? No. It did have ecu controlled twin IC bypass valves, WI, cockpit adjustable boost, mixture and timing, individual cylinder knock sensors, and EGT prbes that also were read and acted on by the ECU. Complex is actually an understatement. The engine ECU had 4 MIL connectors with about 300 pins in total.

I am sure if a BOV was a performance aid, or, as this was a winning 24 hour car, an aid to longevity, it would have had one or more. They are noise reducing devices, for production cars, and noise creating devices, for the aftermarket.

It's one of my favourite race cars of all time, chancing on it in the pit garages on a (albeit upmarket) track day was good enough, to find it being run by a pal of mine and given free access to it, inside and out was a dream. I am still on a high, a simply stunning machine.http://www.gatesgarth.com/NissanR90CK.JPG

Holy Giant Photo Batman! That looks very cool though, did you get a drive? ;)

You could use those accufab clamps or the wiggins if that was the case, but I've heard varied reports these leak

I think its more to do with the welding of the ferrules rather than the actual clamps though,

If your having custom pipes done why dont you try a bespoke clamping system, or springs attached to weld points on both of the pipes (like the HKS Ti back box), overkill I agree but it should prevent your pipes popping off