The mkiv Supra Owners Club

clear headlight

twijesiri

ok so last weekend i decied to try a clear lense conversion. Suprsingly its quite easy. you bung the headlight in a electric oven at 200 for 5mins and then pull the old lense out.

once thats out you cut the main bit of the old lense out, and glue in your clear peice.

Then put your main bit of the headlight in the oven again to get the glue soft. Once it is slip in the new lense. Once thats dryed you coat the seam with silcone to make it water tight (thats the hard bit getting nice qand level and even). then refit it and your done.

The only problem i did mange to drop the drivers side and scratch it but... it not that bad, and i think it looks prety. i especaily like my supra carbonfibre sticker with the light.

Anyway i hope this will encourage more people to try this as there are plenty guide here and its realy quite simple.

BEFORE

LENSE OUT

OLD LENSE

CUTTING OUT THE OLD LENSE

SANDING DOWN THE FRAME

PAINTED THE OLD FRAM BLACK

STICKING THE NEW FRAME BACK INTO THE LIGHT HOUSING, AFTER IT BEEN IN THE OVEN TO SOFTEN THE EXSITING GLUE

FINAL PRODUCT

Guest gzaerojon

looking good, the hard part is the edges, for the abflug conversion i used precission araldite with some black epoxy pigment mixed in, it's really strong and give a good solid black border.

oh and dude put a shirt on :p

very nice. But judging by the black inserts you had facelift lights already? That is half the problem for me - facelifting/respraying it to a good standard.

They're pre facelift sprayed up.

Can anything be done to make the silicone seal less obvious?

They're pre facelift sprayed up.

Can anything be done to make the silicone seal less obvious?

Yeah, follow my guide!!!! Seal the inside where you can't see it, and then use car filler on the outside to cover the join, then mask and spray. Makes the join invisible then - this is not how I suggest this is done (I'm afraid for obvious reasons :taped: ) Sorry mate :innocent:

oh and dude put a shirt on :p

dont hate me cus im beautiful. :p

Anyway, you can just seal the side of the seam with silcone which is much neater and paint a neat outside edge of about 10mm, but i find if you drive the car hard on pot-holed roads the seal starts to tear.

But i got some shrink wrap cable casing stuff wich might help tidy things up..... we shall see or perhaps i shouldn't such a crap driver

Edited by twijesiri (see edit history)

dont hate me cus im beautiful. :p

Anyway, you can just seal the side of the seam with silcone which is much neater and paint a neat outside edge of about 10mm, but i find if you drive the car hard on pot-holed roads the seal starts to tear.

But i got some shrink wrap cable casing stuff wich might help tidy things up..... we shall see or perhaps i shouldn't such a crap driver

Umm, I would be very worried if I have not put some kind of solid fixing (at least 2 or better 4 small screws) that they will fly off at high speed. I really suggest you peal off and follow the guide I did, you have done the hard work which is pulling the original off, cutting and re-fitting, the rest you can do as is. (except the silicone inside BUT if you fill and paint properly that creates a hermetic seal anyway). The screw heads you fill and cover as well, by far the neatest way of doing it.

I first thought yeah this guy has it sorted, then the result was:taped:

Best take it back off and try and peel the silicon or whatever back off the surface, you had done a good job up until then buddy, other than that they would look good,

taking on all the comments i think i will peel of the silcone and use the screws instead to help the finish.

Which shouldn't take to long... If it looks any better will put up a few pics if not, i will get back in my box. hopefully i will get it right this time.

• 1 year later...
Guest captainb

If you have clear headlights with no refraction ridges how does this affect the beam pattern ? Its presumably not as wide ?

Is it legal and will pass MOT ?

Looks great though.

Why not go glass [GRIN][/GRIN]

http://www.spinto.com.au/images/light_sm.jpg

No screws, no gaps, no ugly exterior, fits flush with your body