The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My sups days are numbered

Mike M

Been getting fed up with it really and the idiots on the road it seems to attract these days so I've been hankering for a wee change.

My dad has a 1989 VW T25 crewcab which has been sat for the last six year doing sod all apart from annoying my mum so I fancy taking it on a project. There's one down the link for those who have no idea what i'm on about LOL.

http://volksmagic.sik2k.com/t25bumpers.php

At the moment we need to move house first so I'm abit stuck but its giving me a chance to think about engine options;)

Three that stand out are:-

Toyota V8 from a soarer. (Tight fit)

Mondeo V6 ( loads to choose from)

Scooby motor possibly 2.2 legacy.

I reckon it'll be a lot of fun especially if I kept it ratty looking.

I'm thinking bodykit, lowered, Big Porsche alloys and brakes.

It's a tough decision really as the sups a great car but I've also owned my beetle for 11 years now so selling that would be very difficult.

NA Supra engine would be cool, Trig has one going :)

Or possibly The Porsche 911 engine that allegedly 'slots straight in'

He he i've been thinking about how to get a little bit of Toyota into it but I think the straight six is too long and I havent found a convertor plate yet.

I settled with the idea of painting it in 3L2 red just like my sup. Great looking red especially in the sun.:)

No 911 engine goes straight into anything without new gearbox mounts and cutting and shutting panels. Big job although the germans like doing this to their Caravelles.

Edited by Mike M (see edit history)

Good luck mate are you going to keep the supe too?

Unfortunatly I cant have three cars so i'd rather see the sup go than my Bug. Still would love to own a single turbo at some point but wouldnt want to spend the money on mine to convert it.

As an owner of a Mondeo V6 all I can say is to give them a miss, it is quite honestly the worse car I've ever owned. The fuel consumption is horrific (18mpg urban, 32mpg motorway). The power is terrible, even though it claims 170bhp, it doesn't feel any quicker than the 2 litre version, the only advantage is the low down torque. The parts are very expensive, in fact not far off Supra prices. Mine has cost me £800 in 3 months of ownership, even though it only has 65k on the clock!

As an owner of a Mondeo V6 all I can say is to give them a miss, it is quite honestly the worse car I've ever owned. The fuel consumption is horrific (18mpg urban, 32mpg motorway). The power is terrible, even though it claims 170bhp, it doesn't feel any quicker than the 2 litre version, the only advantage is the low down torque. The parts are very expensive, in fact not far off Supra prices. Mine has cost me £800 in 3 months of ownership, even though it only has 65k on the clock!

Thats not good Homer, cant see the mpg getting any better if it were in a brick shaped van.

...... engine options;)

Three that stand out are:-

Toyota V8 from a Soarer (tight fit)

Mondeo V6 (loads to choose from)

Scooby motor possibly 2.2 Legacy.

Has to be the Subaru, surely, since you can buy a conversion kit and at least it's the same configuration as the VW flat-four..

Has to be the Subaru, surely, since you can buy a conversion kit and at least it's the same configuration as the VW flat-four..

At the moment this crewcab is a mega 50 odd hp stock diesel:d. Your right about the scooby conversion kits and they are becoming more popular. They take up less room in the engine bay too.

Maybe an older scooby turbo motor with 200hp, mean it would go like stink with that due to the low kerb weights of these things and RWD should be fun.

Its all just at the thinking about stage and finding parts suppliers and ways of doing things. Could tart it up and run it for a while with the stock motor. Nobody will cut me up again thats for sure or park next to it LOL.:)