The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Did the glass headlights change at any point?

juanchan

Did Toyota change the inside of the glass headlights at some point?

One of my headlights is more chrome-y on the inside than the other, and I was wondering if one of them had been replaced at some point in the past. If so, I'd like to replace the older one with the new style, but I've no idea if they ever did change, and if so, which one is the newer style.

Drivers' side is the more chrome-y looking one:

Passengers' side is slightly duller looking, although I appreciate it doesn't show very clearly in the photos:

I've had a look at some other peoples photos, but they aren't too clear, as shown in this thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=133576

Any help much appreciated, cheers! :)

I don't think so :(. One is pretty chromey and the other looks like it's almost a gunmetal sort of colour inside. It's one of those things I forget about when I'm at meets - to go and check other glass headlights out! It's not a big issue, they both work ok, just one of those many little things I'd like to sort out.

In my experience, they go dull and then start peeling. Why not have a go at refurbing them?

Still leaves the question why one would have dulled and not the other though? Plus, the non-chrome one is significantly different, and the colour is almost uniform, so I can't see it being simply "dullified". Unless they were taken apart by a previous owner, painted, and then at a later date one was replaced for new.

As Blackie says, I've heard so many "What a PITA" about refurbing your own lights I'd rather not go down that route! :)

From your pics Dodgy, I'd say yours look more like the duller one of my two! It is quite difficult to tell for sure from photos though.

Yeah I would agree, they look like they are slightly tinted, which to be honest on a silver car looks good to me;)

IME the UK backing does dull over time (same as all the others). The insides of the lamps get a little grime build up over the years. None of the supra lights are sealed units so they will all get dust and grime on the inside eventually

IME the UK backing does dull over time (same as all the others). The insides of the lamps get a little grime build up over the years. None of the supra lights are sealed units so they will all get dust and grime on the inside eventually

Thanks for the info Darryl :thumbs: Might well have a look into taking the duller one apart at some point then, see if it will brighten up with some elbow grease.

Just for info, I spoke to Steve Manley about getting some glass headlights for my supe as the j-spec plastic ones are yellowed and the chrome rings around the lights have corroded. Apparently teh facelift j-spec plastic lens ones (which I currently have) have a gunmetal colour to the interior whereas the uk spec glass ones are much more silver/chrome on the inside. Am just wondering if you have one of each?

Guest gzaerojon

i've seen this many times, i'm fairly sure you have an odd pair so maybe one was replaced at a later date, some insides i've seen have a much thicker coating of chrome, so i'm guessing it's all down to what batch they came from.

the strange thing is you will never (well i've not seen one yet) get one discolour on the chrome ring parts, only on the rest. This is a good thing though as they would look identical if done in facelift style as all that is left showing is the chrome rings

i've seen this many times, i'm fairly sure you have an odd pair so maybe one was replaced at a later date, some insides i've seen have a much thicker coating of chrome, so i'm guessing it's all down to what batch they came from.

the strange thing is you will never (well i've not seen one yet) get one discolour on the chrome ring parts, only on the rest. This is a good thing though as they would look identical if done in facelift style as all that is left showing is the chrome rings

Seeing as you know a few things about Supra lights ;), is the dulling easily sorted out? My car's going in soon to have the front end re-done so would be a good opportunity to have a look at it if it's something that might be fixable :)

Guest gzaerojon
Seeing as you know a few things about Supra lights ;), is the dulling easily sorted out? My car's going in soon to have the front end re-done so would be a good opportunity to have a look at it if it's something that might be fixable :)

the only real way of getting it right is to paint the insides, the rings will match, so if the rest were painted then they would look even again. that's the only option really