The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 sp TT, N/A manual or TT auto?

Guest Budz86

Guest Budz86

Hi All,

Been on the forum for a week or two now and have a got a feel for the place. I havn't got my membership yet as I feel it's a bit of an insult to you guys if I joined an owners club without being an owner! lol. But the day I buy my supe is the day I get my membership. :D

Anyway, to the point I have read loads of the posts on here and have seen many different opinions about which model to go for. I have always had my heart set on a TT manual, but after doing the research I figure that it might be slightly out of my price range :( (6k to play with) and finding a TT is not easy (I have been looking for about a month!) :search:

This said I now have a dilema; do I go for a N/A manual or do I get a TT auto? I have no experiance with driving a car with this power or RWD. I have maintained that since I have wanted a supe for at least 3 yrs, I will be very careful with it and not take anyone out for at least a month so I can learn to drive it properly (get used to the power, handling, 2nd turbo etc). This may seem a bit extreme but better to be safe than sorry.

I would like your honest views on this as it is a big decision to change from a manual to an auto.

The other thing is, I am quite keen to have the car in the next week or two as USC is the first weekend in August at Santa Pod.

Appologies for the long post, but any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks

Dean

Guest Budz86
you can buy mine for 6k.... have a look at my garage!! or pm if you need any info!!

Interested. Can you PM me a postcode so I can see how far it is? Also, would want it checked over by Matt at AFR to say its mechanically sound. How does the std N/A gearbox handle the TT's?

Guest Budz86

I know Colin, I do need to really. Just trying to get an idea of what to look at as there is so many out there, I could quite happily look at all of them! I'm thinking about power too. Is a TT going to be too much for me since I am inexperianced with high powered cars? Should I go for an auto for ease of driving? I figure that the members on here know tons more than me and a lot seem to have had more than one supe,good to ask as they can accuratly compare.

But I suppose it does boil down to personal preference...

Top advice. As expected. The club is also actively looking into practice handling days with professional tuition. We've lost a few too many members lately.

Also, since you are worried about the power, I would look at some sort of rally school experience courses. All start with rwd. :)

Guest Budz86
How old are you? Get DECENT insurance quotes on all types first, test drive them too. £6k isnt a small budget really. Buy the best you can afford, you REALLY dont want a cheap Supra!

Well been quoted £1.5k for a 6sp TT, which I figure is going to be the highest insurance group. Not planning on buying a cheap one, have already extended my budget once to allow me to look at the manuals. At the same time though, the most important thing to me is buying one that is mechanically sound. As 6k is a stretch, don't want a 2k repair bill straight away!

my gear box is holding fine, and yes my car can be check by any mechanic you want!!

tt conversion was done by Keron who can confirm it!!

i dont really need to sell it but only fancy a change!! but if i dont i im well happy with it!!

but yes, do has everyone says and take your time!!!

To my mind you sound like you have your head screwed on, my meaning is you've done and are doing research so i doubt you would be silly with the power of a tt, thats if you feel you need it, or may yearn for soon after buying a n/a which only you will know.

Good luck & take your time buying oh & the auto's are very good.

Guest Budz86

Thanks guys, this has helped.

Andy - Like the idea of rally courses, especially club approved/recommended ones. Any chance there is more info on the forum anywhere??

Also, thinking about it a bit more last night, and reading some of the other new member post's, does anyone know of any members in East Sussex that might be willing to take me out for a spin in their supes? Wouldn't be a bad idea to go out in at least one of each (N/A, TT & Auto) so I have an idea of what they can do.

Plus, it helps me meet the local 'supra crew'. lol

to be honest, you have no experience in either auto or a turbo car:( i would deff recommend an manual n/a, if your near rye i could take you for a spin in mine (although i don,t think it will help your decision;)

I'd try to get to one of the local meets and see if you can get a ride in an NA, TT and auto. If you have no experience of rear wheel drive cars, I would strongly recommend getting an NA manual to begin with, both are big cars and both can be quite a handful if you are inexperienced.

Guest Budz86

Thanks for the tip's guys. Am thinking about this more now. Have spoken to a couple of members and they have kindly agreed to take me out for a spin. :D

Gaz - Thanks for the offer, I'm not too far from Rye (Eastbourne) but your right, think going out in a single would upset me at not being able to have one just yet!

Nic - Was thinking this, only thing is I dont think there are a huge number of meets in this neck of the woods ATM.

EDIT: Just been into the bank and parted with 10 of Her Majesty's Finest. Winging it's way to the club account now.

Edited by Budz86 (see edit history)