The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to buy soon

Guest monsterman1222

Guest monsterman1222

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a manual Supra SZ soon. Just got a few questions before taking things further as never owning one before:

1) I know it's a very general question but how reliable are they?

2) Are spare parts easy or difficult to come across?

3) I understand the tax criteria are changing in the UK next year, will the Supra be affected?

4) From all your experience is there anything I should specifically look out for when viewing any before buying?

Hope you can help.

Aren't the SZ's automatics and the RZ's manual?

No, SZ = NA (either auto or 5 speed manual)

SZ-R = NA (6 speed manual, comparatively rare)

RZ and GZ = import TT (auto or 6 speed manual)

:)

I echo other people's answers to your questions. If reliability is your main concern, get a well looked-after SZ and keep on top of the normal servicing tasks.

Is insurance likely to be a problem?

There are lots of traders on here who do servicing, some people travel to go to a trusted person, find out who's close to you and go from there.

What are you looking for in the car? Mods? What's the budget?

For insurance, try Sky (this club's official insurer) but also phone around a few others. Just make absolutely sure the insurer is quoting you for an imported mkIV and not a UK mkIV, imported mkIII, etc etc. Check the engine capacity in the quote: if it's 2998cc (IIRC), mentions "SZ" and the year is correct then it's a mkIV. Anything else and chances are they've quoted you for something different, which will probably have a cheaper premium but will leave you up the creek without a paddle if you ever need to make a claim. This "misquoting" problem tends to be an issue with the larger voulme-selling insurers and their intermediaries.

Guest monsterman1222

Is there a certain mileage on the car I should be cautious about when looking? ie Anything over a certain mileage?

I have a non turbo car and its been in my close family for many years and for approx 50K miles.

I'd assume that everything was original when i got it and now at 90k+ miles its still on its original clutch, radiator and all the ancillaries.

I replaced the front shocks very recently (these were definitely the originals) so all in all i think mileage is a small issue.

If looking for a NA i'd obviously check the basics regarding the engine etc but the area that could be most worn and in need to replacement and that could ultimate effect negatively on your enjoyment of the car would be the suspension. You can basically get a whole NA engine with ancillaries for less than the cost of two front/rear wishbones.

IMO you will need to drive a few to know the good from the bad as depending on what car you are coming from even a 'past it' supra can feel plush.

Guest monsterman1222

Thanks for that. One last question for now: where's the best place to look for one? I've been searching through Autotrader and eBay Motors which seem pretty good. Any others which you all know of to be good?

I dont think mileage is an issue at all. Buy on condition and service history. Many imports wont be showing the correct mileage anyway. Mine has just rolled past 170k still going strong. Managed nearly 18k fault free miles last year alone.