The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel bearing or Hub?

Amir khan

Hi guys,

My drivers side rear wheel has been making a bedspring squeek for about 2 weeks now,

so i jacked it up and found i can move the wheel around and im not talking about rotation.

So my question is how do i know if its a bearing or a hub?

and what are the rough costs of aquiring these?

Thanks

Hi guys,

My drivers side rear wheel has been making a bedspring squeek for about 2 weeks now,

so i jacked it up and found i can move the wheel around and im not talking about rotation.

So my question is how do i know if its a bearing or a hub?

and what are the rough costs of aquiring these?

Thanks

Sounds exactly like mine and I ordered up a complete bearing kit and hub the works only to be told by the garage the upper wishbone rose joint was completely knackered.

Be careful before buying bits I guess is what i'm trying to say.

Cheers

Mike

i have just changed my hubs and bearings but it was only the bearings that had worn i put the new hubs on anyway as i had them my old ones are for sale i am looking for £50 all in they are a bit dirty with but have no wear on them pm me if you wont them i all so have a full set of poly bushes up for grabs front and back new still in bags from whifbitz looking for £100 all in ;)

Edited by brettjones (see edit history)

Just get it stripped, then the garage can examine the splines and hub for the rust dust indicative of the splines fretting as they move. If you cut corners and don't replace the hub and driveshaft (or at least the outer C/V if available separately from the whole shaft), as required, it'll happen again. it's also a lousy job, the bearings and hub can be very tight to dismantle. You need a big press really.

Hi guys,

Today i had someone keep the brake pedal down, and theres no movement in any direction.

With the footbrake off and my hand at 12 and 6 it moves by about half and inch. (wobbels between 12 and 6)

I also cant seem to move in inwards and outwards

any more experiments? seems to me that it seems to be pointing towards the hub???

Take the pads out, bearing play will show at 12 and 6 o' clock as well as 9 and 3 o' clock. The pads will tend to restrict the 3 and 9 o' clock movement when they are in situ. If it shows play in both these orientations I'd say bearing, with probability of hub damage too.

Wishbone ball joint or bush wear won't change with footbrake applied.

Hi again guys,

Today i had some help looking at my car, My grandad.

basically what we done was remove the wheel, then the pin, then sheild. Which exposed the large nut. We tightened this by about 45 degrees. and now my wheel has stopped wobelling completely and squeeking (if any)

what do you guys think? I have noticed a similar sort of sound from the left hand side now, dont know if this is caused by tightening the nut or the sound of the RHS going.

Just like to get some views and opinions on this

The damage is done, the hub will be ovalised, try getting the back wheels off the ground and running the car to say 40mph, look down the wheel line to see if the hub is running out, mine was very bad, obviously make sure the car can`t move though.