The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Back on the road, and this time with hybrids!

suprattgaz

Well after all the hastle of the past 3 weeks, I have finally fitted my new tubs. Thanks to all who helped me diagnose my problem to begin with. :thumbs:

Obviously I wasn't going to go through all that trouble without uprating the tubs (which for the past 4 years I have been saying I would do when this day came). I bought the UK spec hybrids off Tricky Ricky, and fitted them over the past week. Now I have a Jspec, but to be honest there ain't much J spec left any more, what with tubs, brakes, diff, bonnet all being uprated to TRD or UK.

Anyway road test is that they pull a lot harder than the old jspecs, a bit laggier, but I still need to play with the boost controller settings. The noise the car makes now, from exhaust and under the bonnet is immense :superman:. These hybrids certainly do suck some!!!! I am expectring to see cows etc being sucked toward me, like in twister LOL :D

Other mods to the car performance wise are Walbro fuel pump, Blitz DS Boost Controller, FMIC, after market BOV, Full de-cat, custom 3" stainless exhaust, Apexi induction kit & iridium plugs. I read to get the best from these I need to uprate injectors and get ECU to control fuelling, and maybe 256 cams - am i right in what I think?

I have attached some piccies of tubs, a comparison of old and new, and fitted to the car - enjoy, I am ;)

Gary

hybrids.jpg

2008-06-27 16-33-46_0014.jpg

2008-07-01 19-34-00_0017.jpg

2008-07-01 19-34-12_0019.jpg

OK, so looking at what I have already fitted, and the fact that I don't have loads of cash to blow on it what are the next steps I should take? I am more concerned about safety and longitivity of the engine than trying to run it too powerful and blowing the thing up.

i got hybrid turbos on my car but i think they need a looking over. can anybody suggest to me somebody who can have give them a diagnose and if maybe a rebuild??? i got a feeling my turb's are on there way out. the guy who i bought the sup from was a tiny bit refrained from giving me details on the turbos. he told me they were stage 3 hybrid turbos. seen as i got the car for a fair price i always judged it for having normal turbos.

also what are the tell tell signs to suggest the turbo is hybrid and also are they very difficult to get off and on???

So bigger injectors and an ECU then, nothing else really required? That's good, I can handle that! ;)

Thanks again for the advice guys, I really do appreciate it.

adnanshah247 - Yes the job is a nightmare, BUT very much worth doing, and an extremely good way to learn how your car works - I found it a very educating experience! :cool:

good work fella i have only taken stock turbos off and that was bad enough :D i would defo say 550's and you could very easily get away with a fuel nudger such as the SAFC which would do a good job with the stock ecu, try to avoid the temptation of a heavy right foot till you get the fueling checked :eyebrows:

i have a SAFC for sale?!?! lol.... btw very nice work mate!!

How much - give me a pm! ;)

I am only running it at 1 bar at the mo, I shouldn't be doing any harm/damage with the fuelling at that pressure would I? It is the same as I was running with the std J specs, surely it is the same mass air flow, no matter which tubs are forcing the air? The engine size limits the volume, and pressure is 1 bar, so as far as the fuelling goes I would assume no different until I turn up the boost? Or not????:blink::search:

How much - give me a pm! ;)

I am only running it at 1 bar at the mo, I shouldn't be doing any harm/damage with the fuelling at that pressure would I? It is the same as I was running with the std J specs, surely it is the same mass air flow, no matter which tubs are forcing the air? The engine size limits the volume, and pressure is 1 bar, so as far as the fuelling goes I would assume no different until I turn up the boost? Or not????:blink::search:

because the turbos are a bit bigger they will flow more air at any given pressure but as the difference isnt to much you should be ok but if i were you i would not push it

Hi Gary, only just got your PM, been away for a few days, you should be fine on the fuelling mate, i only upped my injectors for a bit of headroom, in fact to get the most out of them you should be looking for something that can actually remove fuel in the midrange and add a bit as the second turbo comes in, i would look at an EMU or MAP unit, but i guess the SAFC could be OK, don't really know about that, yes i suppose they do make a bit of noise, glad your enjoying them:)

Just for clarification on the hybrid side of things, they might seem the obvious choice when the turbos have blown, but going from ultra lightweight j-spec internals to steel internals does introduce a larg dollop of lag.

Drive an auto j-spec vs an auto UK-spec and you will feel a massive difference from low down. If you are happy to live without the low down torque then hybrids are great, they give more at the top end generally. But I know when my turbos go I will be putting ceramics back in again.

JB

Drive an auto j-spec vs an auto UK-spec and you will feel a massive difference from low down. If you are happy to live without the low down torque then hybrids are great, they give more at the top end generally. But I know when my turbos go I will be putting ceramics back in again.

JB

Branners

How big a part do you think VVti plays in that response at low revs? Does it give you the best of both i.e. similar top-end response like a UK spec?

Branners

How big a part do you think VVti plays in that response at low revs? Does it give you the best of both i.e. similar top-end response like a UK spec?

I had a UK spec auto for a week and when I handed it back to the trader and jumped straight in to my j-spec it really showed the difference. And that was on a non-vvti. The power delivery was much quicker on the j-spec.

The VVTi seems even more responsive, but thats compared to spending 2 years in a 6sp single turbo so not quite so easy to judge.

The VVTi is certainly a quick car, almost dont need to BPU it, but as some point I will.

It should be noted that Im a huge fan of autos and of stock turbos. I never really enjoyed the 6sp, and the extra power from the single couldnt be used 99% of the time.

Each to their own really.

But Im going off topic so I need to stop there really.

Well I tell you what - I have fitted an SSQV as the current BOV was struggling with the extra airflow, and played with the boost controller. Now it was only running at 1.0 bar, but the pull is unbelievable. No more lag, if anything equal to the old ceramics. The torque is unbelievable all the way through, especially low end, and the nosie...well :D:D:D

Took my mate out who has been into Supras since ever (in fact it is his fault I even have one) and he was staggered by the performance. We went on the dual to try and set the boost controller up, but he was struggling to keep his head forward to read the BC or boost gauge!:blink: And for the first time in a while I got shakey hands from the adrenalin.

Anyone who is umming and arghing over whether to bother upgrading to hybrids after your Jspec's blow - I say GO FOR IT!:thumbs:

• 1 month later...