The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ok i need help with respray

The Raven

I wont go into details but my car has been resprayed, the spray itself is top notch however the clear coat isnt right, seems to be hazy? like when it trys to refect something you can make it out but its not mirror.

Taking it back the person that done it isnt an option. Im wondering if it has to much clear coat? Will mopping fix this? or maybe a good polish? or is it going to get sold?

Advise please

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like its not been cut back...i.e its as it came out of the gun.. was it sprayed in a booth or an oven,sounds like a booth,providing the sprayer has put enough top coat on a simple 1200 super fine wet dry paper all over and re polish will be just the ticket...

I use 1200, give it a good flat back and use frecella g3 a proper sponge padded buffer,

followed with some g10 and then a good polish.

If its still cloudy, the laquers probably dodgy or someone has not put the base coat on right, and its showing cloudy through the top coat, but thats usually on metalics.

sounds like his sprayed the clear coat when its been cold and damp and its bloomed which means its got to much moisture in it and make it go milky .This is not good as it means it may need to be redone as it will be like this though the hole layer of the clear coat. cant say for sure without seeing pics tho ,

This is worst case scenario mate so don't worry just yet .

OK got pics just waiting for the Mrs to come home with the lead. I have been polishing the same wing for about 2 hours and its getting better. I think it needs cutting back? the body work feels rough not overly but not dead smooth would that make it do that?

Sounds like "blooming," which will be because of as said poor temperatures which usually causes the paint to absorb moisture.

OK if thats the case what now? can it just have a new clear coat? or is the whole thing shot? Phone call from the Mrs, shes going mad.:( "F8cking car your not spending anymore *d3*£*£ money on it)

This could be the end folks.:(

OK if thats the case what now? can it just have a new clear coat? or is the whole thing shot? Phone call from the Mrs, shes going mad.:( "F8cking car your not spending anymore *d3*£*£ money on it)

This could be the end folks.:(

It needs sanding back and then some intense machine polishing. This may or may not work. If it doesn't then it will need a new coat of lacquer (if it's the lacquer that has reacted)...Surely the body shop is responsible for it and will have to rectify it free of charge

From the look of the photo the paint just looks dull, and it might just shine up with some wet sanding and polishing. Can you get a decent close up picture of an area worst effected?

From the look of the photo the paint just looks dull, and it might just shine up with some wet sanding and polishing. Can you get a decent close up picture of an area worst effected?

Its like that all over, hard to get a pic of the worst area. I have found a good bit, it feels smooth compaired to the other bits and has thw mirror shine, only problem is it 3cm high and 4cm wide.

It looks very flat, may cut back but I doubt it will be perfect, I would have never accepted it in the first place and not brought it away from the body shop until it was right if I was unhappy with it, I take it you have not paid for it hence the reason you cant get it done again with them ?