The mkiv Supra Owners Club

She lives! - Just been out in the T67DBB - first impressions

Mike B

She lives...

A lot of garage time lately, mainly because of personal circumstances and work commitments, but after a month laid up the T67DBB (.83 ar) is up and running, replacing the GT4088R that suffered the same fate as so many on the board...

I had thought the T67 was a bigger tubby than the 4088R, but the cold size compressor is virtually the same (compressor housing is smaller), but the turbine is actually smaller, but contains an extra blade.

Bum dyno confirms that there is naff all in it, both tubbies put out the same power I recon. I think the GT was a bit more responsive, spooled a wee bit quicker, but there is very little in it tbh.

One thing that is interesting were the egt temps.

I moved the sensor from the DP to runner 6.. I was getting 810 at marham in the dp... allbeit after a heat soaked top speed run. The new sensor position (same sensor) showed a much faster reaction; almost instantanious. But the quoted 200 degree temp difference between DP and manifold....

200 degrees my arse!

it was exactly the same! I saw 800 after 3 hard 5th gear pulls the rest of the time it was under 790... Now either this turbo runs 200 degrees cooler, or the dp location is an urban myth.

Manifold reaction is instant, much more use.

Nice to be back on the road, shell was pleased to see me :)

Nice one Mike, lets hope the T67 is a bit more resiliant eh :D

When I swapped my probe post - pre turbo I saw 200 deg without changing anything else on my setup, maybe the T67 does run cooler.

I was tempted with a T67 to replace mine but was adviced there may be not much between the GT4088R and te T67, but I'd be happy if it performed the same without shredding turbine blades :D

This is why i keep telling people to put the sensor in the manifold if its possiable. :rolleyes:

The first restriction in the exhaust system on a single is the turbo. When all the gases merged together into the turbo and hit the turbine side, the temperatures rise a fair bit which keeps the flow good through the turbine wheel.

Tested this a while back as a customers car was seeing pretty high egts when his sensor was placed in the exhaust housing so moved to 6" from the exhaust port and it was 80c lower.

Cant see how anyone can guess how much the temps will drop in the downpipe though as different sized housings, exhaust systems and pipe diameter will change everything.

Ryan