The mkiv Supra Owners Club

power steering pump blowing up!

Amir khan

Hi all , after using the search button i need some help,

Today i decided to take out my power steering pump and polish it up to chrome. All was well and it looks good, apart from a few light scratches where the drill bit touched,

Anyway after fittin and topping up some fluid i swithced the car on and straight away it was whining, so i took the cap of and its GUSHING OUT everywhere like a......volcano!

Can using the wrong power steering fluid cause this?

Please help thanks in advance!

A little trick to bleed the system is to but a large coke/squash bottle in half, flip the top half unside down and push the into the top of the resevoir. Turn the steering near lock to lock a few times and it should bleed out any air from the top half of the system.

When the engine is off the fluid should settle so you can measure it using the marks on the PAS cap dipstick

A little trick to bleed the system is to but a large coke/squash bottle in half, flip the top half unside down and push the into the top of the resevoir. Turn the steering near lock to lock a few times and it should bleed out any air from the top half of the system.

When the engine is off the fluid should settle so you can measure it using the marks on the PAS cap dipstick

http://web.archive.org/web/20041009134625/http://www.reepa.com/psflush.php

Yup, worked a treat for me.

thanks for the help guys,

Can someone tell me how i know when its full, i dont understand the gauge, HOT COLD???

also its gushing out fluid without me doing anything apart from starting the engine, is this just air?

and last question, which is the best fluid i should be using to replace the old?

thanks!