The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adjustable Actuator

Guest Wassie

Guest Wassie

Hi Guys,

I am looking to find an adjustable actuator for my TT supra. Can anyone suggest one I can use. My car is over boosting on 1.2 Bar, and it was suggested to fit an actuator.

Guest Wassie

Ok, where is the actuator located? I would like to see if it is adjustable and if so, adjust it. I had my car on the dyno machine and it seems to be making 290kW. That with standard TT setup. But it is boosting at 1.2 Bar on the dyno machine, and probably at 1.4 on the road. I want to bring it down as the car cuts out when at load.

Also, the engine managment light comes on sometimes and at low speeds, and it seems the boost cut happens every time the light comes on.

Its not the actuator thats the problem, its the wastegate. If you are not using any type of boost controller to get 1.2 bar then i suggest you add a restrictor ring to your exhaust. This will keep the boost under control. I would recommend 1 bar restrictor, that way you can up it if you like with a boost controller.

The boost cut that you are feeling is because your car is boosting above the maximum safe limit, i think its 1 bar as standard. If you want to keep boosting above 1 bar then you will need an FCD.

HTH

Guest Wassie

I rather not. I don't want to damage anything at this stage. I just got the car and spares in SA is limited.

Where can I get this ring from? I doubt it is something that I will get locally.

As already said, the wastegate port on the J-spec turbos is too small to control boost once the cats are removed, an adjustable actuator will make no difference.

The simplest solution as said is to fit a restrictor ring between the exhaust and decat pipe, this will restrict the flow a little and keep boost to a safe level. Contact Chris Wilson he'll be able to supply you with what you need.

Where can I get this ring from? I doubt it is something that I will get locally.

Have both the catalytic convertors been removed on your car?

just remembered you're in SA, it would probably be easier to get one made there, it is basically just a metal plate cut to the shape of the flange between exhaust/decat pipe with a hole in it, the hole is smaller than the exhaust pipe to restrict the exhaust flow a little.