The mkiv Supra Owners Club

does anyone actually own a perfect working single car?

supra dan

i have decided to replace my blown engine with a new one, but dont want to bolt my old ceramic turbos on incase they blow and wreck it, so thinking about a single. i was quite happy with 400 bhp so not after huge power but it must be reliable.thing is i dont think i know anyone who fits a single then says "yes its done". seems to take forever then another age to get it running ok, but it seems its never problem free. i would love more from the car but dont want it sitting in the garage for ages, i want to drive it!am i wrong?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you spend the money on quality parts, everything required for a 'proper' install and they are installed by a competent mechanic, then there is no reason why a small single cannot be reliable. It will take regular servicing to maintain, but well worth it IMO.

You just need to be prepared to spend the money up front to do it right.

Mine has been fine every since i blew a massive amount of wonga having it setup properly. It needs alot of services etc but nothing major has gone wrong.

All my problems were turbofit related (apart from the engine issue which could have been a number of things. Im going with the blown twins)

Mine has been fine every since i blew a massive amount of wonga having it setup properly. It needs alot of services etc but nothing major has gone wrong.

All my problems were turbofit related (apart from the engine issue which could have been a number of things. Im going with the blown twins)

Who sorted your car mate? was it Phoenix?

I don't think mine took more than three weeks including the teething problems,and i did it on the cheap, and the mapping is more than half way there despite only driving it about six times, so probably tempting fate now, but it seems to be fine, just need to add an oil cooler.

I'm making no comments on mine, this thread could turn into the touch of death for any Single owners who say "mine is running mint" :D

hope not i will feel very guilty if it does :imsorry:

Ifyou were happy with 400hp why not replace them with rebuilt hybrids or even new ones as it would prob be cheaper than a single:)

i am thinking that, but new ones are very expensive (nic ?) and hybrids not cheap either and some seem to be not very good quality. thats another single advantage i suppose, much easier to work on if it does go wrong.

For every success story there is 10 dismal failure stories. There is and always will be problems associated with running a car at over 50% extra power than it was intended to have. Mines not been too bad. Most of my troubles have been down to budget (not having enough money to pay for as much tuning as it needed) and ignorance (not knowing what exactly is fitted to my car). Going single on a budget is fraught with hazards and really really not recommended at all. Its tempting to buy a ready made meal from Japan as there are lots but you really won't have a clue what kit the car has and hasn't got.

Putting it bluntly I would say that a decent sized single supra will make a perfect reliable daily runner for the person that knows exactly what they are doing, and can either pay a very good and knowledgeable outfit to keep it running right, or can sort out the niggles that constantly crop up themselves. For the rest of us its a wet dream that can at times turn into a nightmare.

Buy one that is already done (shameless plug :)) The cost to do one properly is huge' date=' not only in money, but blood sweat and many many late nights.[/quote']

:yeahthat: much easier to buy one that's been done properly ;)

I have gone single beginning this year ... the car runs great (thanks to a good mapping job of my tuner). I think if you go for quality stuff and don't exagerate on bhp figures on a standard block, a single set up should be fine.

My advice for a nice minimal hassle, long term reliable single install:

Fix outstanding probs on the car before fitting anything shiny and new.

Buy a decent kit (i.e. not off ebay). One that is proven and has all the twiddly fittings you need.

Do a search on here for the myriad of things besides the kit you need (intercoolers, hoses, fuel system, electronics, gauges, clutch etc). Watch out for your coil packs as well, a single install can show up weedy ones.

Again, be prepared to spend the money - remember Turbofit! There are two ways to definitely cock up a single install. One, try and do everything on the cheap. Two, use a fly by night tuner. If you mix one and two you are in real trouble.

Get it done properly and sensibly. Don't be blinded by chasing stupid power figures, 500bhp is enough for the road I assure you. Manage heat in the engine bay with turbo blankets and exhaust wrap. Make sure the radiator is in good condition. Don't expose your cam gears. Get the breather system replumbed correctly. A happy engine lasts a long time.

And finally, get it mapped by someone useful with a decent reputation. Use whatever ECU they recommend. Yes it'll cost money again, shocker. Don't drive it until this is done. If you get a base map, don't drive it much and don't go on boost.

I think mine has been on for 3 years now or something like that. Struggling to think of any install-related problems I've had since the shakedown fixes.

-Ian

If you think a pair of new genuine Toyota ceramics and gaskets and hoses et cetera is expensive don't even consider a single set up. It would be being kind to say that most installs are "experimental" in execution, but it's perfectly possible to build a single set up with close to OE reliability, given an adequate budget.

why not get some UK turbos, less likely to shatter on you like the ceramics, and a lot cheaper....that's the route I took as didn't fancy the whole drama I had before when mine blew.

did you have to fit the uk manifold etc? i am thinking it might be easier to get mine hybridized