The mkiv Supra Owners Club

boost controller for twin turbo

Guest Nizam

Guest Nizam

hi i want to ask you "do i really need boost controller for my twin turbo?"

some people said i don't need to have one and some people said boost controller will damage my turbo?

they said boost controller best to use for single turbo?

also i want to ask you what is boost controller do?

need help mate

I run a restrictor ring set at 1 bar and thats fine for me. If you want to up it to a safe 1.2 bar then you would need a boost controller. You will only damage things if you go above the 1.2bar and you wont see any real gains after that.

Also you need decats, plugs etc see ---> bpu

Guest Nizam

thank mate. i got at the moment, Walbro fuel pump,Blitz induction kit,restrictor ring and intercooler. need to get Greddy BCC,double decat , denso or Ngk.

As Edge said, I don't really think you would need a boost controller mate, I have one which is set to 1.2bar and thats it you dont get to do much with them with BPU as thats the highest you could go safely or even 1.25b

So just save yourself the money as they are not actually that cheap as Im sure you know.

Even 1.2 could kill your turbos slowely if they are not in good condition, I would stay 1 bar and have them turbos for long long time :D

Seems you're planning this quite nicely Niz. Assuming your car's a jspec the turbos will run out of puff at or below 1.2 bar. Top power reported for standard jspec is 425 bhp.

So be safe and make sure that ring is 1 bar.

Therefore you don't really need a controller but it is a proper fix.

Nice to have / get in future.

Get yourself a good boost gauge, exhaust temp and air fuel gauge. Uprated injectors etc. etc.

Keep going mate. Keep reading and checking. :)

I have a boost controller and 1.2 RR.

I never have the boost controller on and its dial has been turned down to the minimum and I see 1.2 bar on my JDM TT (Im assuming my boost controller is having no effect).

I therefore personally dont think you need a boost controller on a JDM TT if your seeing 1.0-1.2 with a RR, it has been suggested though that a boost controller will give you a set amount of boost in varying conditions (ie: warmer weather wont affect boost).