The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This is very annoying - possibly expensive?

Guest dangerousandy

Guest dangerousandy

My Supra has recently started developing a very annoying habbit: when I put my foot down hard on the accelerator to get kick down and maximum power the engine will rev up hard to the red line but the car will not accelerate - as if a clutch was slipping with a manual car (mine is auto) and it feels like the turbos are not working. It also holds third gear and will not release it until I lift off the pedal. It does this randomly and there is no patteren to it. When it is not doing this the car is very very fast and acclerates like a scalded cat!! I have checked the Auto box fluid level (using correct procedure) and this seems fine and is a healthy colour too. There are no fluid leaks and everything else is working fine and dandy............

From the description it does sound like a TC or box issue. Has the auto box fluid been changed recently? (check the easy stuff first, and all!)

If either were on their way out you'd normally expect them to start slipping under higher loads, then get worse until it slips all the time...

Guest dangerousandy
From the description it does sound like a TC or box issue. Has the auto box fluid been changed recently? (check the easy stuff first, and all!)

If either were on their way out you'd normally expect them to start slipping under higher loads, then get worse until it slips all the time...

Hmm not in the 2years ive owned it............ but it had a major transmission overhaul before I bought it.

Hmm not in the 2years ive owned it............ but it had a major transmission overhaul before I bought it.

So they say. Box wear FTW. As I've said before, due to the number of people becoming driving gods and converting to manual you should be able to pick up a box cheap. You could buy several for the price of a proper rebuild.

My Supra has recently started developing a very annoying habbit: when I put my foot down hard on the accelerator to get kick down and maximum power the engine will rev up hard to the red line but the car will not accelerate - as if a clutch was slipping with a manual car (mine is auto) and it feels like the turbos are not working. It also holds third gear and will not release it until I lift off the pedal. It does this randomly and there is no patteren to it. When it is not doing this the car is very very fast and acclerates like a scalded cat!! I have checked the Auto box fluid level (using correct procedure) and this seems fine and is a healthy colour too. There are no fluid leaks and everything else is working fine and dandy............

I have the exact same problem every now and again , annoying when your in over-take position and then nothing happens but a lot of noise . :(

Dip the auto box oil, wipe some off the dipstick onto the back of your hand. It should be a clear red. If it's browny in colour and smells burnt the auto box is knackered. I have never had an auto box on any car slip that hasn't spelt its early demise. Usual cause is fluid level too low. Once they slip they generate insane heat and the wafer thin clutch and brake band friction faces burn up.

Guest dangerousandy
Dip the auto box oil, wipe some off the dipstick onto the back of your hand. It should be a clear red. If it's browny in colour and smells burnt the auto box is knackered. I have never had an auto box on any car slip that hasn't spelt its early demise. Usual cause is fluid level too low. Once they slip they generate insane heat and the wafer thin clutch and brake band friction faces burn up.

Cheers Chris, I have checked for this and the fluid is fresh as a daisy! It was up to the correct level too......... the car has intergalactic millage so it could just be that the box has seen its best days :( I had already replaced the diff' since Ive owned the car so I guess its now time to get another box.

Cheers Chris, I have checked for this and the fluid is fresh as a daisy! It was up to the correct level too......... the car has intergalactic millage so it could just be that the box has seen its best days :( I had already replaced the diff' since Ive owned the car so I guess its now time to get another box.

Auto boxes are fairly cheap though.

Guest dangerousandy
How did you dip the oil, if you don't mind me asking?

I drove the Supra for 10 miles under normal conditions in 'D' with overdrive on (to get all four gears) then parked her up on level ground. With the engine still at idle I moved the gear selector from 'P' through all of the positions and back to 'P' then checked the fluid level (engine still at idle). The fluid still looks like new and smells fresh to. It was at the correct level and everything else seems fine with the transmission.