The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi, i'm new, i've just bought a TT.

TTRickeh

Hey supra guys & gals,

I'm Ricky.

I've just bought myself shilakadaddy's car, http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=149995

1996 Black 6 speed facelift TT

Loving the car at the mo, it's a fairly steep learning curve since my other car is a 2003 1.2 Seat Ibiza, which is about to come up for sale if anyone is interested. I gave it a clean yesterday and I LOVE the look of it, beautiful car. :)

Plenty of power at the moment, and big kick in the back when turbo #2 comes on! The car seems to naturally run at about 0.8/0.9bar peak. I think this is because the Blitz Nur Spec RX is fairly restrictive. The exhaust is ideal as it's not too loud and looks pretty smart, although I can almost fit my entire foot in it.

It's also got an Apexi Power intake, turbo spooling & dump is very loud even tho the stock recirc valve is still there. I would like to get the stock intake with a panel filter back on though, the consensus seems it's the best, and i'd like to make it a little less attention seeking with the turbo's spooling up even when i'm just pottering about, but it's fun never-the-less.

The suspension is great, Tein SuperStreets, the exhaust was scraping its arse like mad on my drive so i've raised it a little, shilakadaddy had it wound all the way down at the front! I don't know how he got anywhere.

Overall i'm very happy with the car :) Here's a few pics I took yesterday:

Hope you like them.

There's a couple of concerns I have so far though. The car's idle is slightly erratic, it'll be idling about 5-600, then maybe 20 seconds later it'll jump up to 900-1000. It just switches back and forth and can't seem to idle at one specific speed for long.

I'm going to check the idle control valve, but do you think this could be causing a problem:

Looks a bit like a hairline crack?

My other concern is there's a heap of oil round the recirc valve as below:

Is this normal? Or should I be concerned a turbo oil seal's gone or something?

That's all from me for now. Apologies for the massive post. Take it easy.

Rick.

(p.s. membership cheque is in the post!)

Welcome

Lovely motor to buy!

The throttle body and plenum are supposed to be separate, its not a hairline crack. Any air seeping into the system there would cause it to be higher idle speed constantly not intermittently. Did you have aircon on?

Oil around the BOV is normal.

Quick question - how old are you?

Welcome to the club Rick :thumbs:

Nice looking motor you have got yourself there.

Do you have any experience with high powered rear wheel drive cars? If not please go very easy, these cars can be a hand full even in experienced hands at time.

Thanks guys, as I said i'm over the moon with it.

Nic : Pretty much no experience, will be taking it easy, traction control is still firmly on although I know it can only do so much. Only using turbo #2 in a straight line for now, and not very often.

Rob : I think I would have had the aircon on, but surely that should raise the idle permanently rather than it oscilating between two levels? Thanks for the BOV info that's gives me some piece of mind. I'm 21, why? Do I post like a young noob :)?

Cheers,

Rick.

Ok thanks mate, will do. Out of interest do you know how the oil gets in about the bov? I don't consider myself particularly technically proficient with engines but would certainly like to be so i'm looking forward to learning and getting my hands dirty. In the meantime, following on from another thread, i've just bought one of these to satisfy my curiousity : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trends-Uk-Ltd-Haynes-Combustion/dp/B000YX7OXO

Cheers,

Rick.

Its only accumulated oil vapour, dont worry too much about it, but it could be indicative that the BOV is on its way out very slightly.

You could buy the 2 bits of hose new from Toyota, and clean them up and replace to keep it stock, or go for an after market BOV like an SSQV

Nic who replied above will likely give the best price on that :)

Thanks guys. Roads are too thin to be pushing the car to it's limits. I need to find myself a big car park and get the hang of rwd, plus the tyres are pretty much on the limit so I should really have some fun with them before I replace them.

I'm glad the BOV oil isn't a worry. I had horrible images of having to take the turbo's off to replace something. Anyway I may as well tell you some plans I have for the car so far.

Firstly i'd like to have a few bits of the car sprayed. There's a bit of rust around one of the arches, barely noticable but better get it sorted soon. Ideally i'll get the front bumper (which has a scrape & loads of stonechips) and the sideskirts (dull patch & a bit cracked) resprayed at the same time.

Secondly i'd like to spruce up the interior a little while keep it looking fairly oem. Would like it to look very similar to Jevansio's - post #18 http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=154418&highlight=dash&page=2 - basically respray the dash matt black, get some polished/chrome dials, and handbrake cover/gearknob. The dash lights are also fairly dull and a few bulbs are out so i'd like to fix that by putting some white LED's behind the dash. A few pics of my dash as is:

As you can see, the current head unit is a tad dated! So I'd like to upgrade it to a 6-7inch screen, i've been looking at these:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-avhp4000dvd-p-6481.html?cadid=76b568019581d5751116a855336f69b4

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jvc-kwavx810-p-6483.html?cadid=76b568019581d5751116a855336f69b4

I'd also like to fit stainless braided brake lines which I believe I can get from Chris Wilson, accompanied by some decent brake fluid. The brake pedal isn't quite as firm as i'd like so I think this should help.

The car also should really get its cambelt changed as I don't think it's had it done. I've got the cambelt, how much is a sensible price for a cambelt change? As I said the tyres are very worn so I need to replace those but i'm not entirely sure what to replace them with, 265 width wont be too cheap I imagine.

Anyway that's all my plans for the coming months, further down the line i'd like to retrim the recaro's in black leather and maybe get some 18'' BBS CH's but that's for when my wallet's a little bigger.

Cheers,

Rick.

haha, I could feel the eyes watching his car too so I thought I'd best snap it up. I don't have a missus to stamp her feet unfortunately but i've had loads of compliments about how it looks so far so maybe it's in the pipeline!

AndyT : Thanks, i'm quite honoured! Maybe I should switch to 'txt spk' and ask what the loudest BOV is and if I can fit neons to my spoiler :)

The car's got a years MOT and just had a new clutch fitted, so i'm quite happy I don't have to worry about those for a bit. Just tried the paper clip trick, no fault codes coming up, happy days.

I've just bought my supe, 46k - I dunno if its had the cambelt changed as the service history is in japanese :p what period are you meant to change them at? Would be interested to know how much your tyres cost, as you'll need the same as me I reckon :)

I priced up some tyres earlier I think they'll cost about £250 for 2 for decent ones. As far as I know the cambelt should be changed every 5 years/60k miles. I'm not sure how much that'll cost i'll need to get a few quotes, better safe than sorry.

I priced up some tyres earlier I think they'll cost about £250 for 2 for decent ones. As far as I know the cambelt should be changed every 5 years/60k miles. I'm not sure how much that'll cost i'll need to get a few quotes, better safe than sorry.

Good man. Belt is about £80, labour £50. Not worth taking a chance.

That £80 may have been two belts actually. Been a while since I got them. :D

Wow I thought labour would have been a little more it must be a fairly straightforward job, I was estimating it'd be about £200 all in. I've got a belt that Shilakadaddy didn't get round to fitting, it says 'timing belt' on it, is that the cambelt?