The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lightest CF Bonnets

Axle

Ive noticed a few questions recently regarding lightening of components.

So i was curious (And i have searched) which or rather who do the lightest Carbon Fibre Bonnets?

Not talking about most stylish, but do they state how heavy these bonnets are?

One that is made from just CF and not a fiberglass one with a skin of decorative carbon:)

So who makes such bonnets for the Supe?

I hear stock weighs around 25 pounds? As Rob mentions though, can imagine even a full CF bonnet being much lighter?

Seibion maybe, id speak with Gaz at Envy, but as said they are not much lighter:)

No i dont want one J, i was just curious as to why people purchase these for weight saving when its been said many times before that the stock is as light as it is.

I understand them being purchased for cosmetic reasons, but as per function im just curious if they would really make any noticable difference at all.

A.

No i dont want one J, i was just curious as to why people purchase these for weight saving when its been said many times before that the stock is as light as it is.

I understand them being purchased for cosmetic reasons, but as per function im just curious if they would really make any noticable difference at all.

A.

I dont think its down to weight really mate, i think most people buy them because they like the look, i brought one to help disperse the extra heat from a single turbo car and pick one that directed cold air towards my air filter;)

I'll be after one at some point, I know you don't lose much, but crucially it's at the front & losing weight there has to be a bonus

It would be cheaper to move your battery to the rear of the car :)

As well as the composite, the means in which its attached to your car will have a small effect on the weight-savings. Some makes require bonnet pins, some may accomodate the stock latch and mounting points.

It would be cheaper to move your battery to the rear of the car :)

As well as the composite, the means in which its attached to your car will have a small effect on the weight-savings. Some makes require bonnet pins, some may accomodate the stock latch and mounting points.

My battery is already in the rear :)

If it did require pins I'd remove all OEM bonnet latches & cables anyway which would make it even lighter

A.

You'd only see any difference as part of an overall diet for the car. Suprahardtopregistry lists the stock bonnet as 10.89 kg without the insulation. The lightest CF bonnet it lists is 4.5kg - that seems incredibly light for such a huge expanse, so I can't see that they get significantly lighter still.

So, with the right bonnet, you could make a saving of just over 5kg. You would get the same effect just by emptying the 5l (5kg) water bottle.

Incredibly expensive for almost zero return, at least in terms of performance gains.