The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi all, not got a Supra yet and need advice on one I'm looking at

Guest k420

Hi All,

Ok, I've not got a Supra yet but I have wanted one for years and have now decided its time to get one and I'm hoping you might be able to help.

Firstly, I really don't know much about cars other than driving them and my main reason for wanting a Supra is I love they way they look. Do I really need to be into the mechanical side of things before buying an old car like a Supra or will I be able to get away with it?

Secondly, this is the car I'm looking at buying:

http://www.japperformanceuk.co.uk/jap/details.php?id=298

Please can you give me some feedback as to whether it looks like its a good buy on the face of it in terms of model and price and so on.

Also, I've spoken to the dealer and its a fresh import which hasn't even been registered in the UK. As it hasn't been registered do I need to worry about the usual AA checks and things like that?

Your honest opinions are welcome as I'm not afraid to wait for the right car to come along if this one isn't any good.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Cheers

Keith

What sort of price do you think I should be paying for something like that given that its from a dealer?

I have a car that I need to trade in cos I'm lazy and can't be bothered selling mine private unless you think I can get an N/A Supra for a lot less private???

drnas78 - Is yours in the classifieds? How do I get to your Garage thing so I can see pics?

Cheers

I'm willing to spend around 3 to 4 grand (4 grand is a push) plus my car (which I've been told I should get around 3 grand for).

I'm really not bothered about it being suped up or anything like that cos it will be faster than anything I've ever driven as is and I'm really in it just for the looks. One thing that is important to me is that it can get over speed bumps with no problems as there are shed loads in Preston and where I work in Bolton and the one that I've linked to looks like it would be ok with speed bumps.

I take it a TRD kit would be better than OEM skirts from a value point of view but I d like the way it looks.

So, I get the impression that the car looks ok but is maybe expensive. Can anyone tell me how much I should be paying for an N/A with decent milage from a dealer and from private?

£4700 is good money. You will get a great example for that. Look through the classifieds here and all the buying advice too. To find a garage simply click on the that persons avatar at the left and click garage.

Good luck and welcome. :)

This is drnas78's garage and I must say, that is lovely.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=2144

Edited by AndyT (see edit history)

I'm willing to spend around 3 to 4 grand (4 grand is a push) plus my car (which I've been told I should get around 3 grand for).

With about a budget of 6ish grand you can get a nice twin turbo auto for that money.

If the car is on stock suspension and hasnt had a stupid bodykit/skirts combo put on it then you should clear speed bumps no probs.

I take it that £4700 is the sort of money I should look at for a good private sale.

Based on the fact that dealers stick more on (and have to if they're gonna make money) and ideally I need to use a dealer so I can part ex my car, is 6k ok for the one I'm looking at or still too much?

Cheers

I'm struggling here with knowing how much I should spend and on what?

If I was looking at buying a second hand Focus I could use the Parkers website and things like that but I can't find anything that will give me that sort of info about Supras.

I've searched the forums for price guides and previous posts about what people have paid but I'm still none the wiser as to a rough guide cos some info seems to be contradictory and some is a year or two old and is that really still valid.

I know that I want a standard N/A Supra from a mechanical side of things and nice wheels and maybe a bit of a kit from the looks side of things. Preferably the newer the better with reasonable to low miles.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a simple equivalent of Parkers or give me a rough guide to if its an L Reg with between X and Y miles this is the range or if its an M Reg with between X and Y miles then this is the range and so on. Preferably this would be with prices based on buying from a dealer.

If I'm asking too much then let me know but I really wanna make sure I'm not being ripped off and I just don't know where to start.

From what ive seen they range anywhere between 2 and 6k depending on miles and condition, for 6k it would have to be a very late 98 onward manual with low miles imo, for an auto id look at knocking £1000-1500 off that price.

you should be able to pick up a clean early na for under 3k.

Thats true you will find alot of the cars are in good nick espacially peeps on the forum as most have alot of pride in their motors, if your gonna get one best time know as prices are low.. your well come to come on an se emines when ever you feel like it as i said i'm open to sensible offer

Are you guys talking dealer prices here though. If I go on auto trader and do a search for Supras between 2k and 6k with up to 80k miles from traders it only comes up with 24 results.

Some look like they're really dodgy (only one pic, no website, etc), some look naff for one reason or another and some have got way to much kit on and look like they'd struggle to even drive over a fag packet, never mind a speed bump.

Do you reckon this is something that I'm gonna need to just keep an eye on for potentially months until I find one that looks the right price cos now I've decided I'm gonna get one I just want one ;-)

I just put down a deposit on a 93 TT in good nick. 150K miles but engine rebuilt twice priced at £4k. Picking it up next week. I thought it was a good deal. Maybe ask for extras instead of a discount if he's a dealer, MOT tax, new tyres etc...