The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PHR Stage 1 Turbo Kit for 1993-98 Supra

Jellybean

Was think of this if my turbos ever went

PHR Stage 1 Turbo Kit for 1993-98 Supra (GT60 series turbocharger )

Is it just as simple as bolt on and standard ECU, Fuel Rail, Electronics are good to go?

Anybody have one!!

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/Templates/frmtemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=25&SearchYN=N

"The PHR Stage 1 Single Turbo System is designed to fill varying needs, and can function with the factory fuel system and electronics to reduce cost, or can be coupled with the PHR Stage 1 fuel system and MAP ECU for the ultimate in power and response. The PHR Stage 1 is capable of 520 RWHP at 18 psi utilizing the factory fuel system and electronics, or 630+ RWHP at 29 psi using the PHR Stage 2 Fuel System upgrade and MAP ECU. This turbo system offers full boost (18 psi) by 3800 RPM and a broad, flat torque curve up to RPM redline. Because of the quick-spooling characteristics and broad torque curve of the Stage 1 System, this system is best suited to street cars and road-race cars."

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Lots of people on here have various PHR kits (1, 2, 2+ etc) & are very happy with them.

PS there is quite a bit of work & money in that very short statement

Thats the way the Marketing Jargon reads, just wondering if their is any truth to it or if anybody has this current setup

I understand where u are coming from , if it sounds too good to be true it normally is :)

Forget about just bolting on the GT 60 turbo.

In theory, you can run the stage 1 on piggy back ECU and standard fuelling.

Personally, I think you play with fire if you do this.

First of all, the piggy back ECU will never meet the requirements given by a single turbo setup.

Second, the fuelling will be maxed out very quickly as the 550cc injectors will reach their limit (together with the fuel pump) way before the turbo begins to enjoy itself. In case you run JapSec injectors, forget PHR stage 1 with these.

I run the following setup on my Supe :

PHR stage 1 turbo kit

PHR stage 1 fuelling kit (twin walbro pumps, PHR fuel rail and 720cc injectors, fuel pressure regulator)

AEM stand alone ECU with 3 bar map sensor and HKS DLI

RPS clutch with PRS lightened flywheel

Some accessories also need to be added if you go single (BOV, EGR Block Off Plates, Oild catch tank, FPR) ... don't forget these as they are necessary.

A PHR Map ECU II, which is a powerful piggy back ECU, will also works on a single ... but not as nice as a stand alone.

Forget to simply look at the 5000$ costs for the PHR stage 1 turbo ... if you want to have your Supe running safe, go at least for a PHR Map ECU II, bigger injectors and the necessary accessories as mentionned above.

Do a good research to see what you want to do.

Have fun :D

As has already been mentioned, the marketing bull (okay, "misleading information") relates to the Export spec cars which had different ECU, injectors, pump and much more. You cannot bolt this kit to a jspec car and expect it not to blow the engine to bits.

As has already been mentioned, the marketing bull (okay, "misleading information") relates to the Export spec cars which had different ECU, injectors, pump and much more. You cannot bolt this kit to a jspec car and expect it not to blow the engine to bits.

I assume then its ok on a uk spec car as it has the different ecu, bigger injectors and uk spec pump?

Im thinking of this kit aswell when/if my turbos go.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

PHR have a street kit on one of their Supe's running stock ECU and fuelling (see video on their pages). However, the stage 1 kit would run at very restricted boost to assure proper fuelling if running on the standard 550cc injectors, the OEM pump and stock ECU.

Theoretically ... it works ... but I would not try it on my Supe.