The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shocked -story about my brakes!!!

Fifty

:(

In May I bought some new rear pads from Chris Wilson as mine where shot.

I left the car with my local garage with the pads and was pleased to see the car delivered back home job done.

I kinda briefly glimpsed at the pads and didnt give it a second thought ; though I did see the garage owner and was told he had no probs with the job.

Over the last few days I ger this huge squeal from the rear and rotational grating noise. NOT F**KING SUPRISING BECAUSE HE NEVER CHANGED THE PADS !!! WTF.

This guy has put my life at risk by claiming to have done my brakes I AM LIVID. and what has he done with my new pads!!!!

advice comments

Rich

Thats absolutely shocking. I would suggest taking them to task but i'm guessing you have no proof. Did you get a receipt? Does it have your mileage on it? If so that might be seen as enough evidence to proove that the pads couldn't have possibly worn in that timeframe.

Gutted for you mate, have a word with the owner and see what he says.

I assume you have the receipt from having the work done?

If so, go to another garage and ask them to do a report on your rear brakes, also ask them to identify the pad. Given that you had a set of CW pads then the invoice should say 'Fitted customer supplied pads'.

Also, do you know if the owner fitted them or was it one of his appy's? Bear in mind if he didn't do the job, he may hopefully be even more fuming that you are..

Small claims court. If police or VOSN had stopped you you'd be looking at action taken against you.

Take the car to a reputable garage and get them to reinforce your position.

Hope it's sorted soon mate.

Edit. I'm guessing the CW pads would be distinctive in some way. So them saying they did change 'em would not be an issue.

Edited by AndyT (see edit history)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=120701

Don't let them ba#$%ds touch your car. Do it yourself :D It's easy and satisfaction from well done job is absolutely amazing hehe

I do normally but was busy and he has done work before no probs; he probably doesnt even know I will see what is to be done.

Rear piston was now seized because of excessive pad wear? but not hard to fee up did it in 10 secs idiots.

Rich

thats terrible you cant trust anyone, i took my 306 to a garage i have used for years and they said it failed the mot on brake cylinders, i said fit new ones and re-test as i was selling it with a full mot, i sold it to my neighbours boy, he was messing about in the snow and bent the rear axle, when they looked at it they informed him the brake cylinders needed replacing as well as they were leaking!! so they hadnt changed them, but gave me an mot

:taped:

there is a tool that lives near me who got done a while back after a woman took her car for a full service and new brake pads, i cant remember how much he charged her but it turned out he did f**k all to the car, he ended up in court and in the local rag pleading stress etc etc, he got a whoping fine as well as the humiliation of having a nice spread in the local newspaper, first thing monday mate i would be phoning trading standards they have a special automotive section

thats unreal! did they not think you would notice and would never go back and complain? supra pads are easy, my missus done mine :) she is a mechanic tho, but it looked easy! ha ha!

holy crap mate she looks like that and is a mechanic, have you died and gone to heaven :blink: :D

:D

spoke to garage owner today and have to take car in at 0930 Monday so we can inspect together.

Job was not done by him but he says he remembers the mechanic saying one piston was sticking. This information was not given to me but I think that is quite important dont you? No attempt was made to rectify as far as I can see - in any case its bollox because unless you push piston right in you cannot get new CW pads in - in order to do that piston would have to be freed up - agree??

he says its poss pads could wear right away if piston was stuck - possibly but me no think so these are not new pads in here they are totally shaxxed. and there was no copper grease on the anti squeal shims on this side.

btw the shims are shazzed as well all rotten where can I get them I think I can leave them out cant I???

this is going to be fun

Rich

Edited by Fifty (see edit history)

:D

aha so you just put pads straight in nowt else?

does anyone think pad would completely disappear in 1000 miles is that faesible my wheels had no dust on them -does Chris sell pads which produce invisible dust lol

Rich

btw the shims are shazzed as well all rotten where can I get them I think I can leave them out cant I???

I just used a wire brush on mine, rubbed the crap off and they came up quite nicely.

I've just done the fronts on one of mine today, wasn't too bad but getting the pistons back in was a pain. Just the rears and all around on the other car left to do :taped: - think I'll leave that a little while yet!

thats terrible

and this is the reason why i do as much as i can to my own car, and partly because 1. i am bugger if i am paying some muppet to do a job with no love for the car 2. i make sure the job is done properly and 3. if i can drive and maintain, and near enough run into the ground, a challenger 2 tank, the i am sure i can do the same to a vehicle 3 times smaller

doing the brakes aint a hard job