The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is stock ecu and fuel system possible on na-t?

Guest Mikael

Guest Mikael

Is stock ecu and fuel system possible if going na-t.

Im talking about adding a turbo kit on a 2jzge.

Is there a "bolt on, and just drive" kit?

I know it will be on a low boost set, but is it possible?

Thanks.

NO for lots of reasons, for a start it will det its tits off due to difference ignition advance curve, and different fuelling, so by by motor.

Agreed.. The stock NA ecu is not capable of understanding positive manifold pressure. The SAFC option simply just throws full in, 'in a controlled manner'-of sorts BUT there is absolutely no control over anything else.

The only way to do an na-t in any sensible fashion is to install an ECU capable of understanding positive boost.

Quote from Bromy who has a NA-T and originally ran it as described with just a SAFC to control the fueling

"I will tell you my experience with my ultra reliable na-t, car was first fitted with the base boostlogic T61 kit, no head gasket but larger injectors (525cc) walbro pump and a safc2 to trim the injectors back... this gave a rwhp figure of 283 at 0.35 bar which I believe is slightly better than a stock tt, next up to be fitted was a 2.5mm head gasket, evc5, aeromotive fpr and e-manage using the 3 bar map sensor and mapped by IanC off the board, we were able to take the boost up to 0.8bar without being silly with the static pressure on the fpr (38psi) and the duty cycles were coming in at under 90%.... not sure what the power is now because the clutch now slips in 4th and 5th but it pulls hard, next up for me is a rps 6 puck and 780cc injectors.... that is a real world experience I was not promised any power figures like are being bounded about for this type of conversion which I for one think are bull$#@! all I know is my car is now probably in the 400 range but not even had one problem with reliability"

Also have a read of this thread for another members experiences.

Like i say you need to research and make sure you are happy with the way forward, the guys above have pessemistic views on this type of modification but others have good experiences.

Quote from Bromy who has a NA-T and originally ran it as described with just a SAFC to control the fueling

"I will tell you my experience with my ultra reliable na-t, car was first fitted with the base boostlogic T61 kit, no head gasket but larger injectors (525cc) walbro pump and a safc2 to trim the injectors back... this gave a rwhp figure of 283 at 0.35 bar which I believe is slightly better than a stock tt, next up to be fitted was a 2.5mm head gasket, evc5, aeromotive fpr and e-manage using the 3 bar map sensor and mapped by IanC off the board, we were able to take the boost up to 0.8bar without being silly with the static pressure on the fpr (38psi) and the duty cycles were coming in at under 90%.... not sure what the power is now because the clutch now slips in 4th and 5th but it pulls hard, next up for me is a rps 6 puck and 780cc injectors.... that is a real world experience I was not promised any power figures like are being bounded about for this type of conversion which I for one think are bull$#@! all I know is my car is now probably in the 400 range but not even had one problem with reliability"

Also have a read of this thread for another members experiences.

Like i say you need to research and make sure you are happy with the way forward, the guys above have pessemistic views on this type of modification but others have good experiences.

I'll concede that there are a few people who have them and have taken a lot of time to get them right, however I feel there are certainly better choices than an SAFC now on the market that provide a more suitable option. The key factor is though when the SAFC was used a LOT of time was spent in doing it right with others as well, I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that it is simply an "SAFC and turbo" solution, if you follow :)

I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that it is simply an "SAFC and turbo" solution, if you follow :)

neither would i........

Using just an SAFC and larger injectors, is just using the lots of extra fuel to cool the combustion temps enough to keep det under control, but hardly ideal for engine, or power.

and thats all i'm saying really, for a low boost / low power setup it can be made to work, not optimally but also the engine will not let go 4 miles down the road either.

Its not a pretty/proper way of doing things but neither is running TTC on a BPU TT but we are lucky in that the engines are tough and tolerant :)

Thanks for the reply! I guess it is best to convert to a 2JZGTE?

Also the cost will be allmost the same or???

Thanks.

There is a lot to be said for doing this if you can find a good donor engine. :) and costs are similar over here, but obviously can't comment on 2JZGTE availability where you are?

Its not a pretty/proper way of doing things but neither is running TTC on a BPU TT but we are lucky in that the engines are tough and tolerant :)

Sorry although i agree with your sentiments, comparing putting a turbo on a N/A motor which cannot compensate for boost is a far cry from running parallel turbos on a sequential set up.

Sorry although i agree with your sentiments, comparing putting a turbo on a N/A motor which cannot compensate for boost is a far cry from running parallel turbos on a sequential set up.

my comparison was simply to highlight the things 'you can get away with' if you choose to accept the risks, whether this is on a TT, NA or NA-T, and not that the things i choose had the same risks neccessarily.