The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are these D2 coilovers?

Chris and Alana

Hi guy's, I was just wondering if these are D2 coilovers. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sports-Adjustable-Coilovers-TOYOTA-SUPRA-JZA80-93_W0QQitemZ160254570138QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160254570138&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 They look like them and the seller advertises D2 brakes but it doesnt say what the coilovers are. (I will ask him before anyone tells me to do that) but also I was wondering if any of you guy's have had experiance with these (if they are D2's) if so, what are they like compared to standard (black) springs and shocks? How long will/do they last? I am asking because my car has just passed it's MOT today :) but the tester told me that there is a mist of oil above the front passanger shock, suggesting that it is leaking slightly so I need to arrange a replacement set some time in the near future.

The only sets I have thought about are the D2 coilovers or replacing them with the standard billy's and springs. I would love to have the CW treatment but cant afford that just now. I would like something that is comfortable'ish and near stock height. I dont want to be breaking my back and biting my tongue with rock hard suspension everytime I drive, lol.Anyway, what are your oppinions?

It states that the spring rates are front 15kg/mm and 7kg/mm rear, those spring rates are very heavy (especially the front), as such the ride quality will be very firm. I have no experience of the product, but just on a personal level I wouldn't expect any coilover set up that cheap to be any good or last that long.

If you are not wanting to lower the car, I'd go with a set of Bilstein dampers with your stock springs. :Plug: I happen to have a brand new set in stock at a discounted price if interested. Details here:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=150970

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Guest cj748

They do look like the D2 ones.

But, as nic said the spring rates do seem a bit high, that is why i didn't get those ones.

I'm sure someone with all the info on these and similar will be along shortly.;)

I have to agree with you Nick. I know that if you buy cheap it's normally rubbish especially off ebay. I just thought I would ask as if they were D2's I seem to remember hearing/reading that they are a decent bit of kit. However, I will take your word for it that the spring rates are on the firm side as I have no idea what I'm looking at :) Are the billstein shocks firmer than the black shocks (KYB I beleive as standard) I have at the momenet? whats the difference? I know Toyota fitted them as standard on later models but did they also change the spring's? or will the springs I have on my 93 be fine to use. Sorry for all the questions I just want to get it right first time round. Oh and the shocks look like a very good price indeed Nick :)

The Bilstein's will give a slightly firmer feel compared to the standard black OEM dampers, but with the standard springs should still give you a decent ride quality. You will be able to use your current springs with them.

Guest cj748

I found some G-MAx springs for £85.(new) Wasn't sure as they lower car 35-40mm front and rear and from what i've learnt here so far, is you don't need to go that low and rear needs less drop than the front? Maybe someone has tried it???

I found some G-MAx springs for £85.(new) Wasn't sure as they lower car 35-40mm front and rear and from what i've learnt here so far, is you don't need to go that low and rear needs less drop than the front? Maybe someone has tried it???

Thank's for the info but I cant lower the car anything at all :( I have just bought my first house and the drive is at quite an incline and the bumper just touches the drive on initial incline and just coming off, not too bad but I couldnt even lower it 10mm without changing the bumper. Iv also read that the supra ride height is spot on for handling perposes anyway and I still want it to be comfortable but firm if that makes sense. I think new stock billsteins and stock springs will do the trick nicely but if anyone has any suggestions feel free to tell :)

Thanks for the help guy's