The mkiv Supra Owners Club

man attacks newly painted supra with angle grinder

TRACIE_LOU

not as bad as it sounds lol after our wheel rubbing problem we took the decision to call arch enemy as sugested by a few members,after a long chat about probable cracking or deformation of the rear arch if they where rolled. Tracie couldnt bare the vision of her lovely lambo paint job ruined so phil (mr arch enemy) suggested attacking the arch with his angle grinder, after comforting trace lol i gave him the go ahead.......after removal of approx 8mm wheels now clear

Phil done a great job making sure all bare metal was sealed very friendly informative chap deff recomend :D:D

archie 00280.jpg

archie 00279.jpg

I've heard of them before and they seem to be recommended.

However, make sure they have fully resealed all the seam lines where the cuts have been made. Having seen the rust, splitting and blistering of non-sealed seams 3 years down the line it's best to make sure they're done right now.

he sealed all the seems up and advised us to check every 6 to 12 months and reseal and when possible apply a thick layer of waxoil under sealer. He said if you attempt to remove large amounts in one spot then you can get heat build up and possible paint blister but he took his time and done a great job we where a little concerned with any method but this seemed the least risky option for new paint job :D

I would have thought it was a bit risky, as the rear aches are double skinned and are spot welded around the arch, so grinding this back runs the risk of weakening the area, ie the two layers not physically not connected any more:(

Come to think of it I'm sure i have seen Phil post about this on the SXOC.

when car went in for respray and bodywork i didnt plan on having new wheels but at the last min thought car would be let down by awful standards so got new ones... have been told since..(correct us if wrong) that the aerotop is poss slightly heavier and that is the reason for this to happen?.. we havent lowered car or anything and only 18's ..... arch enemy pointed out all spot welds and concerns for all methods he hasnt ground past any of the spot welds so inner and outer skin still attached

what! :shock: i had that same guy roll my arches the other week, but the body started rippling before he had a chance to roll them all the way back so they're only half rolled :(

i asked him if it would be better to grind them down but he gave me the impression that he wouldnt do it

he gave us the impression that he really didnt want to roll cos of the new paint work and it would almost certainly crack etc... he pointed out the supra is one of the most awkward cars to roll because of the double skin causes the arch to ripple ....did he point out all the risks and sign consent form as we had to? seems its a risky thing to do whatever way rolling or grinding etc... (nightmare)... i wish i had decided to have new wheels before getting kit and respray!!