The mkiv Supra Owners Club

more top speed on a auto

supra FTW

hi, i have a import supra tt auto Lreg and it does 140mph toped out and while this car is pound for pound the best sports car i have ever been in and i love everything about it i do wish it had a bit more top speed.

is there a better auto box i.e more gears? or any other ways to get more top end? it just feels to easy to get to 140 and like its missing the last gear its got plenty of power to push another gear.

overdrive mmm its posible it was turnd off as the cars new and im not use to autos am still trying to figure out what it all does lol.

could someone explain the uses of overdrive and manu o and whats the red button with the jap writing do i have been dying to push it lol

I suggest you don't drive like you have stolen the car until you get REALLY used to it. Sitting at 140+ in a car you just got is very silly considering you don't know the condition of the suspension, steering components.

Its your life though.

The OD button is used to keep the car in 3rd gear for high speed acceleration. OD on means it goes into 4th gear to help with consumption, if its off you don't get 4th. Was the car redlining when you were hitting 140?

Manual mode means you change the gears yourself using the stick as i understand it.

manu is a bit more complex than that just click the manual manual mode link above.

However make sure your "od off" light isnt lit below your rpm guage.

The trac fuse is the traction control fuse. Its also got something to do with the limiter. Take the fuse out and your traction control wont work (no loss its rubbish anyway) and will stop the limiter....... Aparently :p

overdrive gives you 3 gears when off which will light up on the dash to inform you of this if the light on the dash is off and the button on the side of the stick is pushed in then it then you have 4 gears .

the red button just lets you move the gear stick when the car is turned off ,

And manual mode just locks it in the gear you select ie 1 2 3 it wont change up if you select the manual mode.

Hope this helps mate

I suggest you don't drive like you have stolen the car until you get REALLY used to it. Sitting at 140+ in a car you just got is very silly considering you don't know the condition of the suspension, steering components.

Its your life though.

The OD button is used to keep the car in 3rd gear for high speed acceleration. OD on means it goes into 4th gear to help with consumption, if its off you don't get 4th. Was the car redlining when you were hitting 140?

Manual mode means you change the gears yourself using the stick as i understand it.

yes it was at the red, i never take cars into the red but it was there.

the car has been on ramps and everything is a ok, i was just testing her out on the local track.

Isn't the factory limiter set at 110? Sounds more like the overdrive was off to me. I wouldn't consider driving that fast if you're running j-spec brakes BTW, especially with repeated use on a track.

yeh i think it was off aswell. i thought a j-spec would be better spec i.e better brakes?? the brakes are big i noticed that bigger on the rear wich i thought was a little weird. there nearly rady for some new pads and feel like thay would bennerfit from being bled lol.

Sound like J-spec brakes to me. Std J-spec front brakes are smaller twin piston front brakes, where as the uk-spec brakes (which did come on some j-spec cars) are much larger 4 piston brakes. The UK ones are excellent where as the j-specs aren't really upto the job, especially if you're thinking about tunig the car. If you're serious about doing track work then the very least you need to do is have uk spec brakes fitted along with braided brake hoses and some dot 5.1 brake fluid. (In my opinion anyways :D)

J-Specs are bigger on the rear than on the front? that must be a first.

Thought the fronts were 2 pot and the rears were 1 pot.

I just noticed that. Sounds unusual! The fronts are noticably larger with the uk brake setup, where as on the J-spec the fronts are a little larger than the rear.

a mechanic, no supra expert but who is...supras are quite rare hear in the hills lol.

You need to get it looked over by someone that knows what they are doing.

Start another topic explaining your concerns with the brakes, you will get more people looking as its not about speeding/racing/top speed/boyracer stuff/etc etc.