The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-tt conversion any regrets?!!

c7hru

Has anyone had an na-tt conversion done and wished they had just bought a tt?! That may sound like a stupid question but the only reason i ask is because i still havent made my mind up whether to have the conversion done or buy a tt?!!

Comments appreciated!

Alex

Most sensible way will be to sell your n/a and buy a TT. But if you really like your car and have put allot of time and effort into it then it might make more sense (not necessarily financially) to drop a TT engine in it.

On the money side it's probably going to cost you around £2500-3000 (parts and labour) to put the engine in, new clutch, new fluids etc...If you were to trade for a TT in as nice a condition that yours might be in then it could cost less or even more. I wouldnt want an auto so a 6 speed would have had to have been on the cards and this would have cost me more. Although the 5 speed box wont take the same amount of punishment as the 6 speed i'm not planning on going beyond bpu and i only do 3000 miles a year. (5 spd known to be good for around 400bhp, but its more to do with how you drive.)

Autoboxes for the TT are cheap as cheaps compared to the 6 speed, so if your n/a auto you should definatly go for the tt autobox too. The n/a 5 spd can take more punishment than the n/a auto so i've heard. The 5 speed is a very fun box to use on the TT, you have to be quicker on the gear changes (you get like 2-3 seconds of full boost then you have to change up again) Not sure what other peoples experiences are with the 5 speed, but it seems very gutless in first gear and i experience hardly any boost, (but on the pluss side its easy for launching.)

No regrets what so ever having done my conversion and i got half the enjoyment from doing it myself, and it is very rewarding watching my car progress.

No regrets getting my conversion done at all, still very happy with it :)

My reason for doing the conversion was because I had already spent a little bit of money on the car (bodykit, wheels etc) and already had the 6 speed gearbox.

*Touchwood* I have not had any issues with the engine since the conversion was done in April.

AFR did the conversion and his price was very good :)

Edited by 2JG (see edit history)

i know this is gona be a very general question but what sort of mileage would usually be on the tt engine? and would price be dependant on this?

Obviously mileage will vary, depending on who is breaking what, so it really is the luck of the draw as to what's available and when. And yes price would vary on mileage, but not by a great deal.

I fell really lucky with mine as Jezz had a TT engine with 34k miles in with him at the time, so I quickly bought that and fitted it.

I done mine because i absolutely love the look of my car and i didnt want the hassle of selling my car and then trying to find another one that i like just as much, which if im honest i dont think i would of.

Ive spent alot of time and money on the interior and bodywork. So i desided to do the conversion and because i could do it myself i went BPU at the same time while everything was out save pulling it apart in the future. i now have everything ive wanted from my supra and i have no regrets :)

Obviously mileage will vary, depending on who is breaking what, so it really is the luck of the draw as to what's available and when. And yes price would vary on mileage, but not by a great deal.

I fell really lucky with mine as Jezz had a TT engine with 34k miles in with him at the time, so I quickly bought that and fitted it.

Jim, last I saw of yours it was at Andy Hannah's place?

good thread,

i am think about n/a - tt, i have a manual 5 speed box will this reduce the cost of the conversion by much?

Not really mate as you have to buy an uprated clutch so doesnt really work out cheaper, the clutch will cost around the same as an auto TT gearbox if you was auto.

Ramdom question here...

Do you buy an uprated NA clutch to match the NA 5 speed gearbox. Or do you buy a TT cluch which will fit in the 5 speed gearbox.

I'm thinking the clutch needs to match splines on the gearbox but does the NA flywheel also need to be swiched, As that what the clutch bolts too...:(

Does that make sence ? :D[COOL][/COOL]

Ramdom question here...

Do you buy an uprated NA clutch to match the NA 5 speed gearbox. Or do you buy a TT cluch which will fit in the 5 speed gearbox.

I'm thinking the clutch needs to match splines on the gearbox but does the NA flywheel also need to be swiched, As that what the clutch bolts too...:(

Does that make sence ? :D[COOL][/COOL]

N/a 5 speed uprated clutch ;)

And use the n/a 5 speed fly wheel