The mkiv Supra Owners Club

would this work with my single conversion

123tom123tom

Boost Logic Hybrid TH400/Toyota Torque Converter w/ Neal Chance Internals...

how does the BL box differ to the stock one i.e gear wise, is it still the same in the sense how it works, 1,2,3 in manu...

Also if this isnt any good what is?

is there anything that allows you to shifrt quick in a auto

th400 is a chevy box,i had the th350 in my rx7...good box bullet proof especially the th400...i would presume the th400 has a manual shift kit in it so you have to physically change the gears and would not have the auto mode anymore...a mate has tyhis in his bbc camaro 850hp...so i hope you gotta a big spec motor...my 2p...

Have a quick look here

http://www.musclecarclub.com/boards/showthread.php?t=1635

this site has lots of info on the TH400 and TH350, they are very special auto boxes that run on big power cars for drag strip runs etc, a 3 speed box that is very agricutural but also very strong

I would say that unless you are building a drag monster than it is not really a wise choice for street use, the BL box would be a better choice IMO

I think you may be getting confused

The 'box' you are talking about http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=123&cat=8&page=1

is actually a torque converter only

the BL box is an uprated Supra auto box, here

http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=20&cat=8&page=1

This is the one I would choose for big power Auto

and the TH400 kit for the Supra is here

http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=89&cat=8&page=1

This is the drag monster that may be over kill and not very streetable

I think you may be getting confused

The 'box' you are talking about http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=123&cat=8&page=1

is actually a torque converter only

the BL box is an uprated Supra auto box, here

http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=20&cat=8&page=1

This is the one I would choose for big power Auto

and the TH400 kit for the Supra is here

http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=89&cat=8&page=1

This is the drag monster that may be over kill and not very streetable

cheers, mate it is the 1st one you mention for the street. But does this make it any more drivable and is there any way of making it quickshift

Anything will 'work' but it depends what you want the car for.

Is it a road car or a drag monster, what sort of turbo kit and fuel system are you fitting?

I think Rob is spot on here. It all depends on your goals as in if your looking for a daily driver with the 2 twice a year drag strip visit then i would not be going down the TH400 route. If your looking for a setup similar to mine i.e. smaller single, cams etc etc then I would go for the upgraded BL. They are very good and shift seriously fast. It does feel a little lumpy a slow speed low rpm change i.e. 1st to 2nd but nothing really bad. The only thing is is its a bit hit and miss to getting a good one or not. I'm now on my second and its just let go! So its now going to have to be stripped down and repaired at my own cost as their is no warranty! Also you need to consider what TC would be best for you i.e. 3200/3800/4000 stall etc. I'm using the 3200 which again for a streetable car is great because its not radically different to stock but is really good when you want to do a power brake launch :eyebrows:

I would say the best thing todo really is to go out in one and feel for yourself what its like and make a decision from there.

Edited by rob wild (see edit history)

I think Rob is spot on here. It all depends on your goals as in if your looking for a daily driver with the 2 twice a year drag strip visit then i would not be going down the TH400 route. If your looking for a setup similar to mine i.e. smaller single, cams etc etc then I would go for the upgraded BL. They are very good and shift seriously fast. It does feel a little lumpy a slow speed low rpm change i.e. 1st to 2nd but nothing really bad. The only thing is is its a bit hit and miss to getting a good one or not. I'm now on my second and its just let go! So its now going to have to be stripped down and repaired at my own cost as their is no warranty! Also you need to consider what TC would be best for you i.e. 3200/3800/4000 stall etc. I'm using the 3200 which again for a streetable car is great because its not radically different to stock but is really good when you want to do a power brake launch :eyebrows:

I would say the best thing todo really is to go out in one and feel for yourself what its like and make a decision from there.

i would love to go out in one but it is getting that oppotunity that is limited..... if anybody out there can assist on this that would be great...

i would love to go out in one but it is getting that oppotunity that is limited..... if anybody out there can assist on this that would be great...

Well local round the northwest their is Me and Paul Mac at most of the NW meets. Your more than welcome over to have a ride in mine :)

so wha do you recon is easier to do the BL box or the 6 speed manual.

The BL box from what I understand is just a standard auto box with all the same functions but a bit quicker at changing and stronger.

what about the problem that occurs with auto box's and going single like, when it wont go alway up to say 6000rpm, it changes early doesnt it, this causing the turbo not to have fully spooled..... or am i way off with that statement.

do you just drive it in the manu mode.... but in this case you only have 3 gears right...

sorry about this dont know right much about the gear ratio etc side of things.

TH400 GM manual-shift automatic built by the Gearbox Factory.

Manually shifted 3-speed reverse-pattern, lock-out on neutral to reverse.

torque-converter set-up by Boostlogic, 3000rpm stall.

Manual trans-brake valve body, button on shifter console.

Boostlogic TH400 adaption kit to suit 2JZ-GTE.

B&M QuickShifter ratchet-action pull shifter.

http://www.croydons.co.nz/assets/Supra%2010.26%20second%20in-car%20pass%2029.1.wmv

with a normal th400 Street would be ok, on a drag built its the top end that isnt. Your limited to the 3 speed gearing, so i think top end is limited to around 120mph..so its all about rear end gearing and wheel sizes to crack the 10secs 1/4

I think there are 4 speed kits out there, plenty of info on supraforums on this and the th350 box

Edited by bondango (see edit history)

so wha do you recon is easier to do the BL box or the 6 speed manual.

I would say that its easier to just simply swap one (Toyota based) autobox for another.

The BL box from what I understand is just a standard auto box with all the same functions but a bit quicker at changing and stronger.

Basically yep

what about the problem that occurs with auto box's and going single like, when it wont go alway up to say 6000rpm, it changes early doesnt it, this causing the turbo not to have fully spooled..... or am i way off with that statement.

It depend what you are using to control the box i.e. ecu wise AEM, stock etc etc and the mapping. With my AEM the shift point under full boost are set too different point depending on the gear and were Ryan deemed the best place in the rev range it would be to shift. For example i think in second it goes to just under 7k (6800rpm) before shifting as that was the optimum place to shift. As far a keeping the turbo spooled is concerned it would have to be a big old laggy drag turbo that would require 6000rpm before being fully on boost. I'm hitting fully boost by very early 3k so for example when doing a power brake start from 3000rpm the turbo is fully spooled and remains like that though out every full WOT change. Hence why people like Robbie was running 10 second 1/4 miles using this sort of set up (although i think his stall and turbo were slightly bigger than mine).

do you just drive it in the manu mode.... but in this case you only have 3 gears right...

The advice from BL has always been to leave the car in D and let the ECU do the shifting. I think because in manual mode with all that extra power of being single etc there is a change of shifting badly and damaging the box.

sorry about this dont know right much about the gear ratio etc side of things.

Dont worry about it :)

Cheers Rob, that explained it perfectly, thing is i only have a emanage blue, which i imagine will have nothing to do with the gear box:), but i love the fact it the mapper that can alter where it changes. Is this only woth a full stand alone ecu.

Also what box is your exactly.... like the sound of that:)

Guest racing fan

The Boost Logic autobox is made for cars under 800rwhp and not racing too often. It can work extremely well on the street and we have numerous customers with single turbos who daily drive their vehicles and have well over 30k miles on their boxes. There have been some issues with the transmissions that have been determined to occur a certain number of ways. One is stalling the transmission too long, another is extended/repeated highway pulls creating alot of heat, and another can be breaking the sprag in the transmission by spinning the wheels and abruptly letting off and the car hooking. Unfortunately with you guys far away, repairs can be very costly which do cause some difficulties with the transmission. We will continue however, to go out of our way for you guys to have the best parts you can in your car.

The Boost Logic autobox is made for cars under 800rwhp and not racing too often. It can work extremely well on the street and we have numerous customers with single turbos who daily drive their vehicles and have well over 30k miles on their boxes. There have been some issues with the transmissions that have been determined to occur a certain number of ways. One is stalling the transmission too long, another is extended/repeated highway pulls creating alot of heat, and another can be breaking the sprag in the transmission by spinning the wheels and abruptly letting off and the car hooking. Unfortunately with you guys far away, repairs can be very costly which do cause some difficulties with the transmission. We will continue however, to go out of our way for you guys to have the best parts you can in your car.

Interesting but the first box i had did this:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1848659&postcount=21

After doing less than 1000miles off mainly driving to work at 20mph and the second box which has just done the same thing has done even less! So thats 2 boxes at over £2000 plus repair bill for the first one of £975 which Michel Lane paid for and now im going to have to pay for this one! So from my point of view i think you have major quality control problem! And as a customer I am really annoyed about it!