The mkiv Supra Owners Club

blown engine dilemma

supra dan

just found out my car has a crack in the block[sHOCK][/sHOCK]obviously going to cost a lot to replace the engine, but is it worth it? the car is 15 years old and a cat D so the way prices are its worth more broken(its a 6 speed). if i do get it fixed do i use the turbos? what if they go and ruin the new engine? the cost could be never ending. i love the car tho, if i dont fix it will i regret it? someone tell me what to do :confused::tempted:

just found out my car has a crack in the block[sHOCK][/sHOCK]obviously going to cost a lot to replace the engine, but is it worth it? the car is 15 years old and a cat D so the way prices are its worth more broken(its a 6 speed). if i do get it fixed do i use the turbos? what if they go and ruin the new engine? the cost could be never ending. i love the car tho, if i dont fix it will i regret it? someone tell me what to do :confused::tempted:

If your planning on keeping it for a while it would be an investment, as you love it TO bits rather than IN bits!! :p If you were not fussed breaking it for parts would be a good idea but seems youd rather keep it!!

Its an opportunity to do some major upgrades (new turbo's?) and have an interesting project.....if you can afford it :search: Why don't you give Gaz at Envy a shout to see what he thinks and if its worth the expense? or Paul Whiffin? Will give you an idea of cost anyway :)

Linda

x

If your planning on keeping it for a while it would be an investment, as you love it TO bits rather than IN bits!! :p If you were not fussed breaking it for parts would be a good idea but seems youd rather keep it!!

Linda

x

very good:d i do love it, not even seen it for ages, saw it today and realised i missed it a lot. i am thinking of a new short block from dusty and reuse the old head. the turbos were working fine before but its always a risk. definatly cant afford new block, single kit ecu, injectors.........:(

Might be cheaper to have a new complete engine fitted and then you can sell parts off your old one engine.

Do you know why there is a hole in the block?

no idea, it has a hairline crack on number 3 cylinder, must have been going for a while as the sparkplug was rusty :blink:

I would just drop a 2nd hand TT engine in and keep the turbos, I would not go with a new bottom end, the fact the car is a CAT D makes its market value very low even though it is a six speed, a new bottom end will just be a too expensive with engine build labour costs against its market value IMO

agree 100%

I would just drop a 2nd hand TT engine in and keep the turbos, I would not go with a new bottom end, the fact the car is a CAT D makes its market value very low even though it is a six speed, a new bottom end will just be a too expensive with engine build labour costs against its market value IMO

i was thinking this also.problem is a used engine if you can find one is over £1000 and might have issues itself. my car already has loads of after market parts, i reckon i could get £5000 in parts but it means me stripping it on my drive, which i am not keen to do.