The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Very annoying squeaking from back end

cheekymonkey

Guys,

Ever since I've had my car the back end squeaks like bedsprings every time I go over a bump.

Wasn't fixed by a full suspension rebuild, so assumed it was boot rubbers. However it still seems to occur when I go over a bump with the boot fully open.

I've stripped out the back - taken out the wheel, tools, foam, carpet, plastic tray, and I can't see anything that could be running.

It's really starting to annoy me now as it's pretty much the only thing that detracts from the ride of the car at the moment.

Could it be something like the shocks top mounts or would they have been renewed with my new shocks (CW??)

In all the years I have been working on Supras I have never had a squeaky stock top mount. Astermrket "uniball" ones can squeak or knock, but there's nothing really to rub in a stock one. Open the boot, remove the side trims and take the tin caps off the rear top mounts. Spray them liberally with WD40. If it should by some miracle stop the squeak you can be the first person I know to have a faulty stock top mount. If it doesn't fix it then you have at least put one possibility to bed. What about exhaust rubbers? After the top mounts (or before, thinking about it...) spray the mounting rubbers.

What about exhaust rubbers? After the top mounts (or before, thinking about it...) spray the mounting rubbers.

This could well be the reason, I had a similar problem while ago and noticed the noise caused by the axhaust due to it been moved a bit! I kicked it and it stopped abit :D

Well I checked the exhaust hangers and it's not that.

A mechanic had a listen and says the problem is most likely the rubber mounts at the end of the suspension arms are being pinched because it's a rubber-on-metal noise that I'm getting. Seems strange as it was happening both before and after my CW suspension rebuild :(

• 2 weeks later...

I may be totally wrong have you checked

(1) Rubber stoppers boot lid when they wear away it happens

(2) if you got an ice install in the boot ou some times get squeeks out of there (mines was from the CD changer not sitting propley)

Well interestingly it doesn't make a noise when it's wet out, just been over 7 speed humps to go to work this morning and not a whisper.

Could this mean anything in anyone's experience?

My brothers Boxster used to show the same behaviour. It sounded really dodgy going over speed bumps unless it was wet. He was advised by a well respected garage that there wasn't really anything wrong and that "sometimes they just do that - nothing to worry about". Not necessarily the same as yours, but it might not be as bad as you think.