The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Interesting thread on using no BOV/recirc on GTR forum

mikeyb10supra

I have never run a BOV in all the years I have been running turbo engines. They WERE designed as noise suppression devices, and if they gave less lag and longer turbo life would they not be fitted to F1 engines when they ran turbos (they were not...) or Indy car engines with turbos (they are not....) or the Group C cars (they were not...)?

Mine is going soon as im sure its the recirc leaking

interesting read!

Anyone running a supra without any BOV at all, and got info on the best way to do it?

Might be worth a test to see if mine is actually leaking or not...

just cap off all ports that the stock BOV uses....job done

thanks mate - my ssqv is in the standard bov position, so if it's removed I'll just plug up all of the hoses going to it then :)

to be honest, I would just leave it. I only got rid of mine as the noise was getting on my nerves but it worked a damn site better than my stock recirc and didnt leak

Any ideas on the best method to cap the hoses though?

just order 2x19mm rubber ferrules and jubilee clip them on....the actuator line will need a much smaller nipple to go over the top but not sure on the size of the top of my head. But if your stck recirc is working ok I wouldn't bother changing it

I found that a 1/2" (female) to 3/8" (male) socket adapter fits nicely in the stock BOV pipework. Add a jubilee clip and jobs a gooddun.

FWIW, I find the sound of the Supra with no BOV pretty undesirable. It's just lots of oscillating wategate sounds. Interestingly, you also get a "tschh" sound that it remarkably similar to the stock BOV when recirculating.

I work with Cord from the GTR register, he also works at RB motorsport and built Keith Cowies engine. He says bin it.

I remember him also saying something to do with 360 degree bearings. It was when I asked him about the BOV on my Rover Coupe Turbo when I fitted my GT28R blower to it.