The mkiv Supra Owners Club

500 to 550 bhp... what's needed?

Jim_1979

Obviously you can get to 400ish with stock twins, but what spec would be needed for about 500 to 550bhp?

I'm already BPU+

UK turbos

Blitz Sus Air Filter

Blitz FMIC with custom piping

Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust with Decat

Blitz Super Sound DD BOV

Walbro Pump

Greddy Profec B Spec II (0.8bar low, 1.15 high)

Save £6-7k and go for one of the kits. PHR stage one as mentioned already, or ideally something like Wez's cast manifold and PHR stage 1 turbo (not a kit, so needs more engineering).

If I were to do it again I'd pretty much copy what Wez has done!

what are the options other than going manual?

Two options:

1) Add coolers to your current box (especially if you have a higher TC, which is really needed). Some of the drag racers use 3 or more! It's a temporary measure as it'll fry sooner or later.

2) Purchase a built auto box like the BL. The shifts are far quicker, it's a much stronger box though has had some reliabialty issues in the last few years (tDR is a good guy to speak to about it for some 1st hand info). Again, it needs coolers.

Also make sure you check your diff is up to the job (I.e. not NA/open one)

Hi Jim,

I have a PHR stage 1 setup on my car (with stage 1 fuelling and AEM ECU).

Before going the single route, I was not sure choosing between the PHR street kit or the PHR stage 1. The stage 1 kit uses the HKS manifold, which gives you a more powerful setup.

The street kit will also give you around 500 bhp, with one little advantage : you can put the OEM cats on the car for MOT testing, which you cannot do with the stage 1 kit (I have a custom made dowpipe with the cats made by Whifbitz for MOT testing)

Jim,

At PHR, you purchase a turbo kit and can put the "accessories" together by yourself. Their Turbo kits use the GReddy 3row FMIC or HKS type R or S ones. Ask Joe @ PowerhouseRacing if they can provide piping that works with your Blitz FMIC

To achieve the hp you are wanting, my choice would be a double ball bearing Garrett GT35R mated to an HKS single kit. This will give you around 540hp at 1.3bar and will be extremely responsive with minimal lag.

The HKS kit has some advantages over the US kits, it is designed to fit a RHD J-spec Supra, not a US left hand drive Supra, it plumbs the wastegate back into the downpipe, it also includes everything required for the turbo install such as gaskets, heat shield, oil/water lines, fittings, heat resistant material, etc.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

What has wez done? could he provide info?

I have a Induction Motorsport kit which is based on a modified Turbonetics cast manifold, I use this with a PHR Stage (60-1) non-DBB turbo.

If you want over 560hp you will need to look at slightly larger turbo.

Is it true that with a cast manifold the sound of the turbo is not so good ??? I read it @ supraforums.com

Not heard that before and who cares what it sounds like :search:

Is it only the reason of money going for cast manifold ?? Or does it really spools faster ?? How is the power at the end if you go with a cast manifold,...

They can aid spool yes, the runs are much shorter and they hold more heat. As for top end power the Arnout cast manifold has been successfully used with T67 and bigger ;)