The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does this sound ok - email from potential buyer in Denmark

razza

Just wanting to be careful that I'm not giving someone ammunition to scam, just got this email:

I am interested in buying/acquiring your TOYOTA SUPRA valued at £10,500.00 , if the car is still available get back to me with the necessary details. I will be needing:

* pictures of cars to verify autenticity of advert.(engine and interior)

* your full name and home address together with

* your reconfirmed phone number (both home and mobile)

* number(s) of previous owner.

* fax number (if possible).

My personal details are also listed below,please feel free to contact me if the car is still available for sale so that we can commence negotiations as soon as possible.

Name:-MR DARIUS KING .

Residence/Home Address :- (I have removed this to protect the identity of this person)

sound ok to everyone?

THeres alot of scandanavians buying jap metal from here, my mate sold his skyline to a guy from Sweden. He thought the same as you but it turned out to be genuine.

If hes real ask for a deposit maybe? Not a tenner, about a grand...

yeah, lost on a sale last time actually because I didn't take a deposit, guy never got back to me. I'll make sure to do that next time (hopefully this time)

Just receieved this:

Hello Darren,

I will make further arrangement with the shipping agent and make plans for a viewing date,a 20% deposit will be sent to you to hold the car for me till the shipper comes around for the inspection and viewing .

When i have word from him that the car is in good condition the balance for the funds will be given to you in cash(GBP) and the pick-up and final exchange of documents can take place,please email me if this arrangement is okay so i can know what to do .

Regards'

Darius..............

Now obviously I'd make sure the date is when I can take the cash to the bank to ensure it's legit, but I'm a little nervous. Do I give bank details for the deposit as he's also got my address, or do I use paypal? Thing with paypal though it's 4%, and on 20% of the car value it's £84 that I could do with to be honest.

Has anyone sold a car in this way with the use of a shipper instead of the buyer coming over themselves?

Just receieved this:

Hello Darren,

I will make further arrangement with the shipping agent and make plans for a viewing date,a 20% deposit will be sent to you to hold the car for me till the shipper comes around for the inspection and viewing .

When i have word from him that the car is in good condition the balance for the funds will be given to you in cash(GBP) and the pick-up and final exchange of documents can take place,please email me if this arrangement is okay so i can know what to do .

Regards'

Darius..............

Now obviously I'd make sure the date is when I can take the cash to the bank to ensure it's legit, but I'm a little nervous. Do I give bank details for the deposit as he's also got my address, or do I use paypal? Thing with paypal though it's 4%, and on 20% of the car value it's £84 that I could do with to be honest.

Has anyone sold a car in this way with the use of a shipper instead of the buyer coming over themselves?

I am now wondering if this is dodgy!!:(

Just make sure that you have all the cash in the bank before you let go of that car. I do wonder why he isn't coming over in person to buy 10K worth of car. I spotted some scams on Pistonheads that were the other way around and wanted paying before the sent the car to me.......!!

They were offering cars at around 3k less than the real value. They also mentioned shipping agents. If in doubt mate, wlak away!! Also the £84 to paypal is fook all for a bit of piece of mind mate!

H.

yeah, you're right with regards to the £84....

I've emailed him back stating my concerns over this as I know people who've been scammed previously, and that a week day is best to view so I can pay the money straight into the bank, and once verified the car will then be his to take.

Also queried his real name as may be an alias.

His next response should be telling as to whether this is for real, hopefully so.

It's the capital letters on things that could be easily changed to scam someone else in an email that worried me to start with, as soon as shipping agents start being mentioned alarm bells ring.

yeah, could be:

am interested in buying/acquiring your (insert car and make) valued at (insert cost) , if the car is still available get back to me with the necessary details. I will be needing:

* pictures of cars to verify autenticity of advert.(engine and interior)

* your full name and home address together with

* your reconfirmed phone number (both home and mobile)

* number(s) of previous owner.

* fax number (if possible).

My personal details are also listed below,please feel free to contact me if the car is still available for sale so that we can commence negotiations as soon as possible.

Name:-(insert name) .

Residence/Home Address :- (insert address)

and shipping agents does sound dodgy, as long as the money's legit in the bank though paid in via cash (and the deposit is cleared - can paypal claw back monies if paid into my paypal account which I then transfer to my bank?), then should be fine, just need to be on the ball with this....

and shipping agents does sound dodgy, as long as the money's legit in the bank though paid in via cash (and the deposit is cleared - can paypal claw back monies if paid into my paypal account which I then transfer to my bank?), then should be fine, just need to be on the ball with this....

I'd still be wary of someone doing ID theft and sending the money from an account that isn't actually theirs, I know this happens with stolen cheques and the money ends up being taken back from you, I'm not sure how it works with transfers though.

Alarm bells ahoy though, if they are serious enough they will come over to buy it like the other chaps do.