The mkiv Supra Owners Club

t61 how fast?

Bryson

They're pretty darn fast.

Everything depends on the spec, ecu and map. (i.e. some badly setup singles with minimum specs and poor ECU's/maps will struggle to keep up with a BPU car, others with a full blown setup will have a car like Wez's)

Just to come back to this one, I can't comment about the T61, but with some real world experiences with a T67dbb (mostly dual carridgeway, so above 40mph)

M3 (E36) - not a chance in hell

M3 (E46) - fair match until 70mph

M5 (E39) - fair match until 90-100mph, they are very quick machines

F355 - Fair match until 90ish mph, but they can corner!

F360 - Seemed slower than the F355 at lower speeds, but quicker once speeds build up. Still out dragged with ease in a straight line

F460 - only had a run from 100mph, but gained a few car lenghts to 160mph. Very, very quick car.

This was at 1.4 bar with a very safe map, no WI, no frills T67.

The higher speeds is where the single supra's are incredibly quick, sub 50mph, they're not all that fast IMO (edit, well in a relative sense!!)

Just to come back to this one, I can't comment about the T61, but with some real world experiences with a T67dbb (mostly dual carridgeway, so above 40mph)

M3 (E36) - not a chance in hell

M3 (E46) - fair match until 70mph

M5 (E39) - fair match until 90-100mph, they are very quick machines

F355 - Fair match until 90ish mph, but they can corner!

F360 - Seemed slower than the F355 at lower speeds, but quicker once speeds build up. Still out dragged with ease in a straight line

F460 - only had a run from 100mph, but gained a few car lenghts to 160mph. Very, very quick car.

This was at 1.4 bar with a very safe map, no WI, no frills T67.

The higher speeds is where the single supra's are incredibly quick, sub 50mph, they're not all that fast IMO (edit, well in a relative sense!!)

Darryl would you say a T61 would improve llower speed power/accleration relative to a BPU car or would it still only be more effective at higher speeds?

Ryan's new website (see thread HERE) allows you to compare dyno plots from a number of different setup.

Not sure about the T61, but the GT35R I use is definitely a LOT quicker at lower speeds than a BPU Supra. A BPU Supra would have the edge by 200-300rpm off the line, but after that it would be no contest. The main issue though at lower speeds with a single turbo (and BPU Supra for that matter) is getting the power down, good suspension setup and sticky rubber are a must.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

T61 Supra is a beast. I usually play with bikes though, not cars ;)

allthough i have no experience of the bigger turbos IMHO the T61 size turbo is the ultimate for spool and power, fully agree with Gaz on racing bikes :eyebrows: and i've had a couple pull up alongside and stop for a chat in stunned amazement, never had the fortune to come up against a Ferrari but Beemers and Mercs have all suffered the embarresment of being humbled by a 15 year old Toyota both from a standing and rolling start, if you have your mind set on a manual then fair enough but dont discount the auto, with the right box and a hi stall they launch blindingly fast and without stiring up a hornets nest quicker than a manual :hide:

Bikes are great fun I would match it to a 600 sports bike

totally agree, i live in Heysham Lancashire so once a year we get invaded by all the Isle of Man TT bikes going over on the ferry, you get some very serious machines, you really dont mess with this sought of stuff or you'll just end up looking silly :D even at light speed these guys dont back off :blink: