The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blown second turbo - what next?!

suprattgaz

OK, so I have finally come to the conclusion that I blew my turbo last weekend, no damage to the engine, just no second turbo boost (possibly seized?).

Anyway, that behind me now what do I do?? I have read up about hybrids, single turbos etc......has anyone been in this position before and what did you do? The main thing with this is that I was happily running 419bhp for years on my current set-up with Jspec turbos, and am quite happy with that power output. And I don't have tons of spare cash floating about to throw at a single turbo project. But would I be silly to pull the car apart to replace the turbos with std jspec again? Is there something I should be doing that I have not found on this site yet?

I would do all the work myself, so labour costs are no issue.

From what I can tell std Jspecs would be £200 - 400 depending on mileage, Hybrids would cost me £1Kish, and a single 5K and up?? :search:

i have some stock ones and they have 74000 miles on them, i am only wanting 170 delivered for them both, is that a fair price, may even drop on that if a offer is made..

Exactly what i paid although less mileage.

I replaced with Jspec turbo's, 2 yrs on all good :)

I paid £800 to have the work done...i.e turbos off and others put on. I found out this was roughly £450 too much. Toyota GT said it would cost about £300.

So if it ever happens again ill just get the spares i keep put on.

Where was your old dyno run? At what boost?

419bhp is fairly high for a Jspec. What sort of mods?

For the effort/labour cost of removing the twins you may as well go Hybrid with maybe standalone or piggy back. Pop some drop ins into the mix too.

1.2 bar, very cold day, fully de-catted, induction kit, walbro fuel pump, custom stainless exhaust, boost controller, intercooler, THOR fcd.:search:

Seems like a nice cheap option...i would go for these personally

i thought it was a good price too, i didnt think 74000 was that much for these type of turbos, thought they are strong until at least 150 000, with regular oil changes etc.

i cant believe your second has gone at low milage.

i thought it was a good price too, i didnt think 74000 was that much for these type of turbos, thought they are strong until at least 150 000, with regular oil changes etc.

i cant believe your second has gone at low milage.

Get in contact with me in about a months time if you still have these as i might have them for spares ;)

Well i have gone and done something that I REALLY can't afford, BUT I can't stand the thought of going to all that effort to put on some stocks that might just go again in the near future. I always said the day my turbos went I would put some hybrids on....so here we go ;)

As i am doing the work myself it's not that bad, some people pay what I am for the hybrids for a garage to put stocks back on the car. That's how I justify it in my head anyway ;)