The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi, noob without supra

Stan

Hey all, thought I'd join to get as much info as I can before I get a Supra.

I currently own a Prelude which I've pretty much done up to how I want, and I should shortly be coming into some money so will be looking to sell the Prelude and spend up to 11-12k on a good example of a Supra.

I'm thinking aerotop and tt (or single if I find one :D), from what I've seen these are all auto unless converted? Having never driven an auto, are they hard to get on with, and what are they like side by side to a manual?

Cheers in advance

Welcome bud. Check out Jm imports and the classifieds here for good quality examples.

You're already doing the right thing and getting the info. and 11 - 12 k is top money too. Good luck.

Autos are great boxes. Lots of people here swear by them. Your choice though mate. :)

Hi Stan.

All J spec aerotop TTs were originally auto. Its a four speed auto box with manual mode and overdrive. More and more are being converted to 6 speed manual box though.

Aerotop TTs stopped being produced before Toyota bought out the facelift Supra in about '96 / '97. Other than the 6 speed manual box, Facelift TT Supras are available with the Tiptronic auto box. Again, its a 4 speed auto with manual mode, but this time no overdrive and the manual mode is utilised by buttons on the steering wheel.

Try a search on here for topics refering to auto vs manual, and auto to manual conversions....its been discussed often, with solid support for all types.

Some say the holy grail of Supras is a TT aero with six speed conversion, others say the best Supras are six speed TT hardtops without the scuttle shake etc etc ad infinitum. Many many others with autos will tell you its a great box and the performance is close to that of a manual, although the driving style is obviously different...I drive a Tiptronic and love it, but would like a 6 speed one day.....Its a very personal thing.

Best advice anyone could give you is to get a try in several types, dont buy the first you look at and read up on here as much as possible before jumping in.

Good luck:)

yo stan

i remember you from the preludeuk site,

pop by one night if you fancy a look round and a spin, im not that far from you if i remember right

Hey bluecoup, long time no speak! I did spot a supra up on Plumstead Rd the other day where your old prelude used to park - I guess that's yours?!!

Thanks for the welcomes as well guys

yeap that me :) just gimme a pm if you fancy popping by, mines auto too so you can have a look at that, i always had manuels before this, but i don't think i could go back to manuel now, and i know i couldn't do with out this power now, think ill be stuck on supras forever