The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alarm Warning!

Supra Ems

[ANGRY][/ANGRY]

Hi all, I wasn't sure where to post this but have to get it off my chest before I EXPLODE!!!

Basically, I bought my Supra in October and as per the insurance requirements got a suitable alarm fitted. I chose the Toad Ai606 as they seemd to have a good reputation.

The installer I found is called Gap security installations, based in Milton Keynes, I think. Anyway, they came to my work, fitted the alarm etc guy seemed nice and competent, all seemed well.

In February, the problems began... first, the alarm would not 'chirp' when disarmed and when I started the car there was a horrible clicking noise coming from the engine and the hazards flashed on and off constantly. This happened intermittently, so I would never know when it was going to be a problem, and didn't want to drive the car in case I damaged something. I called Gap for advice and they were quite skeptical that it was a problem with the alarm and suggested it was a problem with the car. It seemed fairly obvious to me that this was an alarm problem, but I was told that if the fault was due to the car I would be charged a call out fee - fair enough - except for the fact that it wasn't showing the fault all the time, and so the day before the engineer was due to come out, I had to cancel as the car had been fine for 3 days. Of course, as soon as I had cancelled the appointment, it started showing the fault again! I rebooked the appintment and filmed the fault on my phone as some kind of 'proof'.

When the engineer was finally due to come (2 weeks after the fault frst manifested), he rang me at the last minute to say he couldn't come due to a family emergency and he would get someone else to come the following day. I thought this was fair enough, and he had organised another engineer for me.

The engineer that came the next day found a faulty earth connection which caused the problems. He fitted a new unit and went on his way - again very polite and helpful. I did not have time to check the car over as I had already made plans to go out that afternoon (silly I know, but I do have some sort of life!). When I went to drive the car the following morning, half the buttons on the centre console would not work as they had not been plugged back in! This was easily sorted but is unprofessional! Also, I had a system fitted originally that locked the car's doors when the car was started to prevent car-jacking etc. This did not now work!

I couldn't be bothered to waste any more of my time with this company so wrote them a letter of complaint asking for them to refund me the extra cost of the door locking mechanism which no longer functioned as I did not want them back again. I got no reply but was not too bothered as I did not want to waste any more of my time on them!

In April, as the weather started to warm up, I found the alarm would go off incessantly when the temperature in the car rose. I contacted Toad direct as I did not want to deal with Gap anymore, but was told an engineer would have to come out to look at the sensors in the car, and this would have to be done by Gap unless I wanted to pay for someone else to come out. I'm not rich so I contacted Gap again and eventually after deciding that it wasn't because I left my air vents open, they decided that they would have to come out again...

I was away for a while, so couldn't organise the visit until this month. I waited for them last Friday morning and they didn't turn up. I called them and they fed me some crap about how they tried to call me to tell me the guy was sick, but couldn't get through. I rebooked the appointment for today, called them yesterday to confirm that he would definately be coming, and he hasn't turned up again!

I really don't know what to do now... I know this is a really long post but I'm so angry and it means that everytime I get in the car I'm reminded of it.

I'm having to use the original Toyota alarm which is fine as the immobiliser still works ok, but that's not what I paid for! I went away for a month on holiday in April and had to leave my alarm off as it was going off all the time - that's just pointless!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sorry to rant! If you've got through all this so far, well done and give me your thoughts... DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Emm x

Would it be worth speaking to Citizens advice and see if there worth taking to a Small claims court, if they are write to them via a solicitor and threaten action, might just get you a refund etc or trading standards.