The mkiv Supra Owners Club

which way to tackle the oil filter

supra_si

I assume you have a TT? Well i tried underneath with no luck so then, struggled from above using a again type oil filter removes 4 a while then after i had tried using my hands for ages, i eventually took the battery off as this gives better access, in the end i got narked & stabbed it with a screwdriver thu did the trick. Oh remember to put a bag round it to stop spills.

Edited by R Black (see edit history)

I fiddled about for ages from the top.. no luck.

I got under the car and still couldn't get my hand at it!!

Finally I sussed a way.

If you lay down with your head at the front of the car and your feet facing the back, you can get your arm at it coming at an angle from the back of the car.

You can easily get at it with your hand and unscrew it.

Be prepaired though... oil dribbling at a high rate down your arm!! :D

Yep underneath is best bet using the feet to the back of the car lying on your back reaching up technique.

If you wanna do it from the top then unbolt the PAS reservoir (2 bolts iirc) which gives nice easy access.

Cheers,

Brian.

Yep underneath is best bet using the feet to the back of the car lying on your bakc reaching up technique.

If you wanna do it from the top then unbolt the PAS reservoir (2 bolts iirc) which gives nice easy access.

Cheers,

Brian.

3 bolts ;)

:D

I found that doing it from underneath took several goes and several visits back to the forums to back sure it was possible. Once you lie in the right place and position your arms correctly you can get it undone rather easily. I took hours over it the first time I did it and now I could do it in 10 mins.

after nearly 8 years of supra ownership and my wife once said i had compulsive obsessive oil changing disorder (i took this as a compliment :D) i have tried every method, i finally settled on from the top, unbolt the power steering reservoir and pull it forward out of the way, there is a lot of give in the pipes and i use some string tyed to the rad cap, there is also part of the wiring harness that just clips off as well, you then have enough room to get your arm in, if you are unlucky and some idiot has over tightened the filter with a tool you may have to do the old ram a screw driver through it gag, i allways use a plastic bag (freezer bags are good - no holes) and remember you only need to tighten it hand tight

i find, if you stand by the n/s/f wing facing to the back of the car. with your left arm down through the gap behind the n/s turret you can unscrew it and then with the n/s/f wheel off pass it out through the steering rack appeture. an extra break in your arm just above the wrist helps. thats on of the reasons i bought a ramp.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this thread useful too. Morning off to wait for new washing machine and its not raining.

Just been through the procedure.

Battery out,

Power steering reservoir unbolted, wiring loom unclipped & eased out of the way.

Lots of paper towels plastic bags, HD polythene on floor etc etc.

Unscrewed and removed filter out through front, dropped it pouring oil over drive!

Drained and refilled with oil and new filter.

bolted everything back together.

Everything back in place and me pleased with myself.

Mind you the washing machine I ordered has not arriced yet so overalls may be a dit stinky for a few days.