The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how do i calibrate my speed needle

_Shane_

fitted my el glow dials today and as usual nothing ever goes according to plan. To cut a long story short when i was putting

on the dials i couldnt get it on fully over the needle and then the

speedo needle popped off, thought nothing of it and stuck it back

on. Turned ignition on, speed reading 40mph and revs reading 3k.

Removed the plastic cover, started the engine, took off the needles and put them back on , speed at 0 and revs at 0.

Now car is reading 15mph more than what im actually doing

Help please lads

Cheers

When I did my dials, I used my blitz boost controller as it had a speed reading too - so I got on Motorway, set cruise to an easy speed to do, and then put the needle on.

I've checked through most of the speed range now and it's only 1-2mph out in places - which is fine :)

PC Plod allows for 10% error in speedo anyway, doesn't he??

Coolio, I just thought it might make the lower speeds worse.

ie

My speedo reads 10 to 12% fast.

Real speed (Indicated speed)

30 (33)

50 (55)

70 (77)

Moving the speedo at 70 (77) to 70 removes 7 MPH from the indicated speed.

Take that off at 30 and it'll read 26 MPH. That's what I would have thought as you are not changing the ratio, just where the needle is.

If that makes sense.

The way i did it was to put the needle on with it facing under the 0 say 15mph under the 0, so at -15mph then carefully bend/move it back over the needle rest with out it popping off. Then go check how accurate you was using one of those speed camera type things that tells you your speed is when you drive past it.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but the previous owner of my supe changed to el glo dials and the needle popped off and he just put it back on.

No is my question, how to I get the needle of again safely? Without the change to break something..

Many Thanks,

Nicolai