The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fuel efficiency

flyby

My UK AUTO TT runs 8km/L fuel, about 5 Miles/L.

Ill talk to a friend how said after he got w new ECU, and did a reprogram fo the engine, he can run at 11km/L about 7miles/L

Can that be true?

Yes very true, the mapping of the stock ECU is on the rich side, especially the UK spec ECU. A piggyback or standalone ECU could improve mpg's.

Guest iikun

As a contrast, these are the (non-vvt-i) factory fuel efficiency ratings for the Supra.

SZ/SZ-R Auto 8.6km/l

SZ/SZ-R MT5 8.9km/l

GZ/RZ-S Auto 7.6km/l

RZ/RZ-S MT6 8.2km/l

Fuel eficiency was only marginally increased in the VVT-i

Personally, I could believe that fuel efficiency is imporved with a remapped ECU, but 11km/l for an Auto TT seems incredible. The only thing that comes to mind is that the performance of the car must have been lowered to achieve that mileage?

A cheap way I found to improve mileage was simply to flush the engine tho. On my SZ-R I got an extra 30-odd kms out of a tank of gas after having it done. Now she's back to nearly new mileage:) (on the highway at least)

• 1 year later...
old post I know, but two question..

1. Why is the GZ so much worse on fuel consumption than other supras?

2. How do you 'flush the engine' ?

Due to a response from iikun being highly unlikely, I shall guess that the engine flush refers to flushing the engine oil through with a flush liquid (available from Halfords and motor factors). I don't know why it would improve fuel economy though.

Anyone got any better guesses?

Due to a response from iikun being highly unlikely, I shall guess that the engine flush refers to flushing the engine oil through with a flush liquid (available from Halfords and motor factors). I don't know why it would improve fuel economy though.

Anyone got any better guesses?

Same as you Stevie I wouldn't see why flushing the engine oil and putting new engine oil would improve the cars economy. Unless he means a service (including sparks plugs, oil filter etc) which I guess could improve fuel economy slightly.

Flushing can improve ecomony, not by huge amounts but is does help. All down which flush you use.

A good tip is to drop the fuel tank and clean it out, then refill and drop some proper fuel treatment flush into the system. Not sure if it will benefit supras much but it works well with most cars :)

Flushing can improve ecomony, not by huge amounts but is does help. All down which flush you use.

A good tip is to drop the fuel tank and clean it out, then refill and drop some proper fuel treatment flush into the system. Not sure if it will benefit supras much but it works well with most cars :)

What do you mean by "flush"? Is it a fuel system flush, or an engine oil flush? Engine oil flushes can be a mixed bag, especially on an older/ high mileage engine.

What do you mean by "flush"? Is it a fuel system flush, or an engine oil flush? Engine oil flushes can be a mixed bag, especially on an older/ high mileage engine.

You can get flushes for almost anything these days. I can't think of the name off the top of my head but the stuff I use works remarkably well.

With the engine flush you drop a bottle in with the oil before your about to do an oil change, run it about a bit then empty it.

The fuel system flush works like redex drop a full bottle in with fresh fuel and run it like normal.

Its realy good stuff for the price, about £8 a bottle. There's loads of different 1s available for specific parts of the engine.

Ill get the name of it after, should try it out, I'm going to :)