The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NOS or Not

fruity_south

Guest mattsupra

im also thinking along these lines as its quick power for not a lot of money

i was talking to a mate of mine (beleive it or not? lol) and he said that a company is selling noz kits for £400

so im thinking this is a big hp gain for not much money and seen as i dont want to go down the whole route of single or tt im seriously thinking about it too

Guest mattsupra

i think it was potn who is selling them for £400

i think its potn or something like that anyways

i dont think its a waist of time if your going to use it but if your not then i suppose it would just be an expensive show peice

Great value for money, but nos will never be insurable as far as a road going car is concerned......

But our engines love it, my old NA ran 75 shot of Nos and it was fine, that wasnt even with a progressive controller, which I would advise on getting but apart that it is a cheap power gain.......just a bummer when your bottle runs out, which it will do after about 20mins spirited driving......

im having the n/a turbo conversion done anyway next year, the one to suit the n/a engine from withbitz so just wanted it for some action before then, wont be using it every day just when im up for a bit of power. iv been told by wizard of nos that it can handle up to 100shot just on a wet system anything above that and they said i should go for a direct port option though to be honest i aint got a clue to what the difference is anyway. also they said that i should go for it without the progressive controler but if it happens to have bad traction when armed then its easy to install at a later date.

im having the n/a turbo conversion done anyway next year, the one to suit the n/a engine from withbitz so just wanted it for some action before then, wont be using it every day just when im up for a bit of power. iv been told by wizard of nos that it can handle up to 100shot just on a wet system anything above that and they said i should go for a direct port option though to be honest i aint got a clue to what the difference is anyway. also they said that i should go for it without the progressive controler but if it happens to have bad traction when armed then its easy to install at a later date.

A wet nos system is just basically a nos feed line and petrol feed line that both feed into your intake somewhere, usually they are placed just before the throttle body, and then when its armed each line will feed a small amount of nitrous oxide and petrol mixed together into your air going in, this is how you acheive your bigger bang. Obvioulsy the size of the nozzle depends how much nitrous oxide is released. This is bascially a cheap and easy way to install nos and its know as the wet system because its mixed with petrol.

Direct port, is where the nitrous is fed into each cylinder by its own port thats drilled in the side of the cylinder wall, basically feeding nitrous oxide direct into the chamber, this is also known as a dry setup. This way is a lot more acurate with the amount of nitrous being feed in and a lot more controlled, and is usually only required when you start to run a large amount of nitrous, but obviously having ports drilled into your cylinder walls is a lot more expensice then drilling to feed lines into your intake somewhere....

cheers for that, i think ill go down the wet road then, will i need a fuel air ratio gauge to monitor it and will i need to change my vacuum gauge to a boost gauge. prob sounds like a dumb question but i know i cant use a vacuum gauge on a turbo car so figured nos is like a boost same as a turbo. obviously not as good though

What nos system is rec for a supe.

Wet ?

i got a NX system in mine:d 75 shot and it is wicked but the clutch is starting to slip now if i gas it below 4000 rpm but whoever named it laughing gas was right it puts a smile on yer face:d go for it dude it costs between 40 and 50 quid to fill a 10lb bottle up :cool:

cheers for that, i think ill go down the wet road then, will i need a fuel air ratio gauge to monitor it and will i need to change my vacuum gauge to a boost gauge. prob sounds like a dumb question but i know i cant use a vacuum gauge on a turbo car so figured nos is like a boost same as a turbo. obviously not as good though

Hmmmm, ok I think you might be a little confused about things. An air fuel ratio will be good to let you know if you're running lean, and a vacume gauge is from what I can tell, pointless, its just something to look at, your engine doesnt require a vacume gauge, it doesnt monitor anything specificly to the point where it would show a problem with anything, unlike a boost gauge on a turbo'd car where the gauge would show if your turbos are spinning to fast and making too much + boost.

So you can keep the vacum gauge with or without Nos installed, if you want something pretty to look at. An air/fuel ratio might still be usefull, but again I doubt its an absolute requirement.

all i lknow about the vacuum gauge is if on full throttle the needle stays on 0 and doesnt creep up to a certain level its not good. what exactly god knows

But thats my point mate, thats all your vacum gauge is doing, its a visual for you excelerator, so as you put your foot down your gauge see's the vacum and moves the needle.

The only point your gauge will show nothing when you have your foot down is when your gauge is broken.

Mate this gauge is nonesense, I wouldnt get so concerned about it, it shows you nothing, apart from having a nice pretty gauge on your dash that does something when you put your foot down....;)

Edited by Suprash (see edit history)

fair enough, glad I never put it in now. would a boost gauge work with a nos system seeing as it is a form of boost. sorry for all the pain in the ass questions

Mate dont be sorry, its the only way you'll learn......

No, a boost gauge cant be used, nos is not a form of boost, boost is forced induction, paking more air molecules into your cylinders then the engine could normally suck in on its own....

Nitrous is air molecules that are denser, or more tightly packed then standard oxygen, so it produces a bigger bang the same way forced induction does.

about a 1200quid will set you up with an amazing system.

call wizards of nos.

you need

a 10lb bottle ( duel bottles bla bla etc is a little fast and furious)

a pressure gauge

a bottle heater

two solenoids with 120bhp jets

lines

a single fogger

a maximiser or minimax (budget depandant)

and some colder plugs

pay someone who knows exactly what they are doing to fit it and set it up.

(like me)

then you can run anywhere between 40 and 120hp shot with full progressive control.

nitrous is the cheats way to horsepower simple as that, but when it is setup correctly you will have no troubles.

if you want to know anymore i have a lot of experience with gas on drag and road applications.

about a 1200quid will set you up with an amazing system.

call wizards of nos.

you need

a 10lb bottle ( duel bottles bla bla etc is a little fast and furious)

a pressure gauge

a bottle heater

two solenoids with 120bhp jets

lines

a single fogger

a maximiser or minimax (budget depandant)

and some colder plugs

pay someone who knows exactly what they are doing to fit it and set it up.

(like me)

then you can run anywhere between 40 and 120hp shot with full progressive control.

nitrous is the cheats way to horsepower simple as that, but when it is setup correctly you will have no troubles.

if you want to know anymore i have a lot of experience with gas on drag and road applications.

Mate, there is a lot there you dont need, and that price is about twice what you can pay. Bottle heaters you dont need......the NA's are pretty strong and can take it....;)