The mkiv Supra Owners Club

There trying to write my supey off :(

AlexJames

Hit the corner of a wall at (I promise you) 10mph, 13mph tops!

Heres the after effects!

Dent2.JPGDent1.JPG

Bumper damaged, FMIC and radiator a little bent but not much, air con damaged, bonnet bent... everything else is fine.. they say its 5k worth of damage and are writing it off..

ITs an 6 speed manual, on 64k miles brought for 7k last year.. the rest of the car is in amazing nick for its age... surley its worth more than 5k!! :(

If it had'nt of been the corner it would of been just a bent bumper :(

Is it possible to post pics of under the bonnet?

Front End - 100quid

Crashbar - 50quid

FMIC - replace with smic or from £400-£1000

New Slam Panel Installed - 250quid

Bonnet - 150quid

Radiator x 2 - 300quid

Respray - 300 - 600

If it is just that damage then your in the region of 2g if you do it yourself, they will write it off as a CAT D if the damage isn't too bad

Just buy it back

Ill see what I can do, its at the garage at the moment.. and yes I promise you, Im not one of these people who lie about the speed I was doing.. I was barly moving when I hit it.. it was just the corner went right in... which the pics show... i mean i didnt even scratch the wall!

The problem you have is the cost of the parts from Toyota...

Bonnet and bumper will cost over 1k, then theres the slam panel.. thats only about 100 but the labour to remove all broken parts, weld in a new slam panel spray to match.. Then the new Radiator and aircon rad (was it broken?)

I tell you it mounts up pretty quickly... with the prices ofsupes rightnow, ide let them right it off.. with the money buy yourself a nice genuine 6speed then either fix or break the other one... using the money you made to get the good one sorted!

The problem you have is the cost of the parts from Toyota...

Bonnet and bumper will cost over 1k, then theres the slam panel.. thats only about 100 but the labour to remove all broken parts, weld in a new slam panel spray to match.. Then the new Radiator and aircon rad (was it broken?)

I tell you it mounts up pretty quickly... with the prices ofsupes rightnow, ide let them right it off.. with the money buy yourself a nice genuine 6speed then either fix or break the other one... using the money you made to get the good one sorted!

If they write the car off and I buy it back.. surley I wont have any cash left over to buy another 6speed twin...

Is it possible to post pics of under the bonnet?

Front End - 100quid

Crashbar - 50quid

FMIC - replace with smic or from £400-£1000

New Slam Panel Installed - 250quid

Bonnet - 150quid

Radiator x 2 - 300quid

Respray - 300 - 600

If it is just that damage then your in the region of 2g if you do it yourself, they will write it off as a CAT D if the damage isn't too bad

Just buy it back

I agree that doing it himself he might be able to do it for the above costs, but for an approved bodyshop, the cost is going to be well over double that. Their £5k seems about right really..

There's all the "other" items which would need to be replaced that could really bump the total.

bonnet trim panel

bonnet stay

mounting brackets

lower front frame (very expensive)

AC rad and pipework, & regas

viscous fan

fan shroud

etc

Stop giving Alex a hard time people, even if he was doing over 10/13mph which im sure he wasnt, as he told me about the accident as soon as it happened, its still not nice to see another Supra maybe being taken off the road.

I hope you get it sorted mate.

He's young, and not as popular as most, thats the way the cookie crumbles on this forum:rolleyes:

Theres no point in a thread worth 15pages long with 'sorry to hear that mate'

If it makes you feel any better I crashed a punto in the first 15secs of driving it, at 10mph maybe even less, it looked a lot worse than that, I'm not even sure if I meant it:p

Its up to you, at least you know it can be repaired, the choice to write it off or buy it back and fix it is up to you

What is an approved bodyshop?:search:

Edited by bolarbag (see edit history)

He's young, and not as popular as most, thats the way the cookie crumbles on this forum:rolleyes:

Theres no point in a thread worth 15pages long with 'sorry to hear that mate'

If it makes you feel any better I crashed a punto in the first 15secs of driving it, at 10mph maybe even less, it looked a lot worse than that, I'm not even sure if I meant it:p

Its up to you, at least you know it can be repaired, the choice to write it off or buy it back and fix it is up to you

What is an approved bodyshop?:search:

didnt realise 25 was considered young lol, 25 today as well!

Thanks for your help guys... guess its just a gonner then!

Stop giving Alex a hard time people, even if he was doing over 10/13mph which im sure he wasnt, as he told me about the accident as soon as it happened, its still not nice to see another Supra maybe being taken off the road.

I hope you get it sorted mate.

Thanks hun, love love x

Guest blueangel

give keron a call im sure a, he could fix it for a good price and b, he will have all the parts to do the job and possibly in silver too.

I crashed one of my old supras (not badly) mainy suspension damage and a headlight and a wheel, and it was only an N/A so to stop them from writing it off I took it to my local bodyshop and gave them Jezz's number to source all the parts from, they faxed a quote to my insurance company using Jezz's parts and it got accepted :D

and yes, i hit the wall doing 10ish.. wheels sliding on wet carpark tarmac...

So you were sliding at 10-13mph due to wet tarmac. So you must have been braking to initiate a slide then. I'm struggling to see how that much damage was caused TBH.