The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blown off by a Corsa? - Surely not?

Foz

Yes the title is true and im not sure how, let me explain.

Now dont get the wrong impression, i wasnt racing around the streets or anything.

Me my girlfriend and my step daughter were in the car driving home from Leeds on sunday and i came off the motorway. I live a few miles from the motorway junction and shortly after turning off a Corsa with blacked out windows all round and a full bodykit was right up my back end for about 3 miles.

It was starting to annoy me, he was far too close for comfort, but there he stayed no less than 5 meters from me all the time, i stuck to the speed limits not allowing myself to be goaded into something with a corsa and immature driver, this is all assumption as the windows were blacked out so couldnt actually see anything.

Now the last road leading upto where i live is a long stretch about a mile long and a 60 mph limit. I thought hes going to overtake me on this stretch surely.....anyhow we get on this road and hes up my arse again all the way down it, were doing 60 and im approaching the roundabout at the end of this road on the mile stretch.

Anyhow about a hundred yards from the roundabout, the fool decides to then pull out and overtake me!?!?!? WTF?

I thought no way hes trying that here surely? Anyhow were both doing 60 and so i thought im not letting him do that and slammed my foot to the floor (maybe a little foolish given theres not much road left)

But anyhow when i slammed my foot to the floor, the engine geared down as expected but the car didnt seem to go anywhere at all, as the revs were high the car changed gear (its an automatic TT too!! argh) but by the time all this had happened this little blacked out windowed Corsa just drifted by me......which left me feeling a little deflated.....i never thought any Corsa would come near a Supra?

Maybe it was the timings of the change of the auto gearbox etc but it seemed my lovely Supe jsut didnt cut it at the time needed or maybe this is an indication that theres a problem with my car heh, i dunno.

Can anyone shed some light on this, how would i tell if there is a problem with the turbos etc? Ive heard they take a while to spool but even at 60? God knows but theres a littlbe bloody Corsa giggling at a silver Supra around where i live!

Ive got a MkIV TT Aerotop, completely standard.

Also the next question is how on earth can i stop this happening again! hahah. Ive heard a BPU is the answer yes?

Thanks all for your help.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, first of all learn to just let people go no matter how stupid they are, slow down to let them do the silly move if necessary, speeding up approaching a roundabout with loved-ones in the car while someone overtakes seems a little daft to me.

Secondly, learn how to use manual mode.

HTH

Nope, fair point and completely agree, i dont normally take that course of action (approaching 40 makes you think a little more wisely) and we werent racing as such at all and i usually gont get caught up in these type of things, were were sticking to the limit all the time. This car was just a little too close for comfort and so i thought theyre bound to just go by me so ill leave them to it, but then they did at the worst time?

Anyhow, maybe its a good thing the car didnt speed up, and the little corsa just went on its way. I think i got sucked into the idea of a little teenager driver banging on about how hes 'blown off' this Supra in his 'l33t' Corsa to his pubescent mates.....ahem.

I just thought mmm im not sure if that should happen when i push the pedal or not, thought it may be indication that there was something wrong, bless the little supe.

As all the above posts really, but in addition to that try to "learn" at what speeds the auto box kicks down and builds boost and at what speeds it doesn't.

For example, if I'm pootling along at an indicated 20mph and floor it my box kicks down (into first I presume) and max boost is soon reached, hence the acceleration is great. If I try the same at an indicated 30mph there isn't any kickdown and the acceleration is not nearly so good. This is the territory where one could get caught out by hot hatches etc.

The same could be said at an indicated 50mph and 60mph. I think the auto box is great, but it's not always a case of just flooring it and seeing other cars off.

Ok i get all that but on the auto box if i dropped it down into Manual mode at 60mph, it would have to go into 2nd? Wouldnt this not be good for the car?

Also would the overdrive button have helped at all? Doesnt that just increase the rev limit? Ive never really used that.

No it was an old style one, not the new shape, it had had work outside so maybe theres also work happened underneath? who knows, was more concerned there was something at fault my the supe.

Thanks for all the quick replys, gives me something to do during a steady spell at work! haha

cheers all.

auto needs time to change the gears and regain boost.

Manual you can sit in the gear and choose the gear quicker. I think the auto changing gear cost you.

Glad to hear it wasnt racing i was dreading reading this story!

does it?? I bet I can get on boost quicker then a manual car shifting down a cog or two ;)

mine is on it instantly when I kick down

You will learn eventually, that although you might like to think so the Supra is not king of the road, and you are not the best driver, once you realise this, you can just let the idiots and better drivers and better cars get on with it and enjoy your Supra without endangering yourself and your loved ones;)

does it?? I bet I can get on boost quicker then a manual car shifting down a cog or two ;)

mine is on it instantly when I kick down

thats the point, the manual guy would of already shifted down and waiting, also like lukeyboy says its about your current speed, as the manual is 6 speed you are able to select a more apporiate gear to be in the RPM range when both turbos are online, on the drag yes the auto is proven quicker. but im sure if you had 2 cars next to each other at 30mph and got them to accerlarate the manual would be quicker.... just

Guest mattsupra

its ok m8

i had a 180bhp corsa 2ltr 16v motor in mine and went like stink and everyone on here took the pish out of me for saying it would kick a supras arse and now this thread

makes me chuckle to myself big time for all those who said that it couldnt be done

:):):):)

Well i do tend to think my 13 old immaculate TT car is far superior than any other, just because i love it so much....but dont we all have a tendancy to do that sometimes? Thats why we have them isnt it?

Foz,

You will also learn eventually, that there are oodles of hypocrites on this forum, whom purchase 3.0 twin turbo cars putting out anything over 328bhp, then striving to further increase the power of them to exponential levels, pertain to say they drive around like they are taking a driving test every day.

You can guarantee that within a few posts of someone saying that they have had a blip with someone, the self righteous will descend.

:rolleyes:

Well all i can say is this one didnt fly by me, it was a controlled overtake really, its just mine didnt move above 60 heh.

Fair play though, i reckon the Supe obviously has the weight disadvantage straight away compared to a 180bhp Corsa surely?

Ok i get all that but on the auto box if i dropped it down into Manual mode at 60mph, it would have to go into 2nd? Wouldnt this not be good for the car?

Also would the overdrive button have helped at all? Doesnt that just increase the rev limit? Ive never really used that.

Wouldnt this be about 4.5 - 5k on the clock perfect position for the second turbo getting ready to boost up. Can't you get well into the 80leptons in that gear (to the redline).?