The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Never talk to the police!

Guigsy

Just watched these that someone posted up on another forum.... Very interesting. A couple of interesting bits about speeding fines also in the 2nd vid. But you will have to watch the first one to understand what its all about.

Interesting youtube vids telling you why you should NEVER speak to the police, ever. Its American, but the rules still apply over here. You still have the right to remain silent.

Lawyer perspective:

i8z7NC5sgik

Police perspective:

08fZQWjDVKE

Very interesting... altho they are 25minutes each.

That was long....

As much as I dislike the police I still think not saying anything is the voice of the guilty, I could see it working for things like speeding tickets but if you are innocent you should say your side. If you get to that stage you must be in deep sh!t and caught in something serious.

Long vids but some excellent information !

The classic line from the great british bobbie is " Do you know how fast you were going " to which in 2000 i was dumb enough to reply to on the M1 :rolleyes: from now on silence is the key ;)

Edit: not that i intend to drive over the speed limit ever again

Edited by Supra Size Me
incrimination myself ! (see edit history)

(I haven't watched the above videos yet but)

.....unless you are claiming consent.
Well obviously you can't say nothing if you are claiming something.

As much as I dislike the police I still think not saying anything is the voice of the guilty, I could see it working for things like speeding tickets but if you are innocent you should say your side. If you get to that stage you must be in deep sh!t and caught in something serious.
But what about 'innocent til proven guilty'? Your way, and the way the police want it, it's up to you to demonstrate that you're innocent rather than the burden of proof being on them.

It's all wrong. You shouldn't have to prove you haven't done something, it should be them proving you have done it.

You shouldn't have to prove you haven't done something, it should be them proving you have done it.

I agree with you but unfortunately in real life that is not the way of the police - I've been in the situation before, hence my dislike for the police (I know not all of them are that way)

They seem to do something about nothing and nothing about something

(love the avatar by the way :D)

(I haven't watched the above videos yet but)

But what about 'innocent til proven guilty'? Your way, and the way the police want it, it's up to you to demonstrate that you're innocent rather than the burden of proof being on them.

It's all wrong. You shouldn't have to prove you haven't done something, it should be them proving you have done it.

the point is even by explaining your innocent its very easy for them to make it into you being guilty. you kinda have to watch the vids :p

the point is even by explaining your innocent its very easy for them to make it into you being guilty. you kinda have to watch the vids :p
Yes I realise that.

Actually I'm watching the vids at the mo, not all in one sitting though.

very intersting vids !

Innocent until proven guilty..... I guess staying silent is leaving it to the prosecution to prove your guilt.... ie. why do they need to ask you questions if you are innocent... if this is the case then they could ask any of joe public from the street.

I wonder if the same 'rights' apply in the UK.... what is the current statement of being arrested? or charged? .... do we have the right to remain silent ?

do we have the right to remain silent ?

Yeah, but they've fairly recently added that caveat that it may harm your case if you don't mention something you later rely on in court, or words to that effect. Don't know how that would work in practice if you didn't say anything at all.

:looney:

:rolleyes:

that is almost clever. (but wrong) eg. you can claim self-defence at a trial for assault but should still not speak to the police and don't need to give evidence and hence never say anything at all - but still make a claim. the too things don't need to coincide and don't mean the same thing.

Never talk to the police!

.....unless you are claiming consent.

:rolleyes:

that is almost clever. (but wrong) eg. you can claim self-defence at a trial for assault but should still not speak to the police and don't need to give evidence and hence never say anything at all - but still make a claim. the too things don't need to coincide and don't mean the same thing.

How am I wrong then?

• "Never talk to the police."
  • ".....unless you are claiming consent."
  • "you can't say nothing if you are claiming something"

What part of that is incorrect.