The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flatening Laquer

SupraD06

Right i had my car resprayed last october when i had my bodykit fitted and was going to get if flatened down after the paint had had time to harden, but due to the weather being rubbish i garaged the car and it wasnt until about february that i got it back out, now when i give it a good clean and wax it up it doesnt look to bad bit in good light when you look down the side of the car its very uneaven and ripples quite alot, also there are areas where it is smoth and then goes dull like there is more laquer in places than others, is it to late to have it rubbed down and smoothed out and can anyone reccomend anywhere that will do it. some people have reccomended taking it to a detailer but i think id like it to go somewhere that could re laquer it if they rubbed through it

My friend's dad did it, but they normaly do accident repair work for insurence companys, but to be honest i dont think they are up to the standard of making a good job of flatening it all down, i know it will never be perfect but would just like it to be better

A detailer is your best bet, they will take more care then a bodyshop will who will just cut it back and if they go throug hthey wont care. Detaielrs take pride in their work.

Were not all like that ;):) but a detailer should do a better job if there any good

any clues what they charge for 2 days work, also IF they did go through the laquer what happens then? do i need to go back to the paint shop and have it done again or can they do something with it

Re laquer is the only fix if you go through when flatting

Oh right ok, well does the detailer have to try and workout how much laquer is on then, or is there a way of telling when your getting close to going through, like it gets softer or anything like that

sorry for all the questions, just want to know as much as i can before i get this done

probably a bit blunt :D

best way I can put it is, a detailer will take 2 days maybe a bit more with wet sanding the paint. A bodyshop does not have this time to give so dont spend as long doing the job.

A lot dont get flatted full stop and just get G3'd then polished :thumbdown: or get flatted in the roughest areas but not all over

If it was me i would be hesitant to have it flatted and re polished, as the way you describe the finish, it sounds like a real bad spray job, and you could easy go through the lacquer if its that bad, it should have been nibbed and polished as soon as it came out the spray shop, its far easier to do fresh paint than fully hard.