The mkiv Supra Owners Club

426.5bhp on stock tubbies

tucky40

Hi All,

Had a final map last night with Ryan before I have to hand the car over to its new owner!! My car is bpu stock twins running in parallel with an aem, 650cc injetors and jun cams

The car came in to ryan running 0.8bar and 399bhp.

It is now running around 1.1bar with 426.5bhp and 410lb/ft.

It really does feel much more urgent too.

I think this map and Cheekymonkeys prove that the stock turbos really cant push anymore air so the ceiling is between 425-430bhp while keeping temps and fuelling sensible.

It was interesting to compare the dyno plot with cheekymonekeys as the only real difference seperating the cars are the cams.

The cams have pushed the power curve about 500rpm up the rev range as far as i can see. The main difference being that between 5500-6800rpm the cams maintain a flat power curve at 425bhp where as the stock cams drop by about 60bhp.

I'm sure Ryan will have more to say but i was pleased and will be even more gutted to see the car go.

Thanks Gaz,

TDR for a direct comparison of sequential vs true twin look at cheekymonkeys curves on one of his previous posts............i prefer the true twin curve by far.

At the end of a day on a spirited drive your not going to be letting the revs drop below 4000rpm so true twin curve beats the sequential every time.

Cheekymonkey managed about 20hp more at the top end with true twin and at about 4000rpm his car was producing about 80hp more in ttc over sequential. I think ryan said there was more scope to adjust timing in true twin for whatever reason.

On the road i must say true twin pulls more predictably, more progressively, no drop in power like the sequential switch over and although public opinion is with sequential i would say try a well mapped true twin and you would be impressed.

The cams also make the car feel much stronger on higher revs on the road.

I'll get ryan to post the dyno plot as i dont have a scanner.

Nice one mate, good result!

I think our cars must have been production-line buddies - with your run of 13.066 at the pod which is dead on identical to my best time last year!

Shame you won't be there in this car on Saturday - mine hasn't been on the strip yet since I went PowerFC and put the 650's on.

At least we know cams wont make much a difference on a well set up BPU with regards to max power as the turbos are pushing as much air as possible already. But it will definately hold the power in the higher revs.

I think this excersise by Cheekymonkey and myself shows that a standalone ecu and mapped True twin will give you about 25bhp over a standard BPU car and push your cars potential from about 380-390 up to about 420-430bhp.

The rest of you comtemplating doing the extra work can decide if spending the extra is worth that modest power gain. What you will get though it a car that feels more urgent and is perfectly set up and ready for a single so you'll be more than half way there.

I'm guessing there will be quite a difference right through the rev range though. I made that argument a few weeks ago. Yes we may only get 30 or so bhp from going to stand alone but surely a well setup map all the way through the rev range will also have its own benefits?