The mkiv Supra Owners Club

17" vs 18"

Benyon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how you drive. Everyone will come on saying that 18s will ruin the handling. IMO 99% of them don't have the experience of driving the car on the edge, in both sizes, to comment.

I don't drive my car particularly hard, just the odd spirited drive. The 18's will have made a difference to hard cornering but i don't drive close enough to the edge to notice. One very important thing is to get your geometry setup if you do change size :)

Guest CoolsBlue

i got me 17" original size rims and not much difference, 1" difference round the rim...and it fill the arch pretty well, would of had 18"s but couldnt find a set i wanted in 18"...

Its not the handling that suffers with increase in diameter, its the ride, handling suffers with offset and width, tramlining etc. Also heavier rims generally mean an increase in unsprung weight, again poor ride. But yeah bigger rims look alot better up to a point

The handling does suffer too as when turning a corner there is not the same amount of sidewall to flex to keep more of the tyre on the road.

I know the reasons why 17's are better than 19's etc for cornering but i also know that most people won't be able to tell the difference. They will in the ride comfort and road noise though.

I think the general consensus is that 17"s obviously handle better but the trade-off in having 18"s for appearance is worth it. Then onto 19"s is mostly a :no: because the handling definately suffers.

If thinking of 20"s then :banned:

I would be happy to slow down abit for 20s :)

Nope...too wide and the car will become dangerous in the wet where it will float on the puddles.

Seriously, heard that a million times before and yes it makes a small difference but the standard 17's aren’t exactly slim anyway.

It's a silly debate IMO, I hear the same thing on all forums and tbh with the right set of wheels are you are doing is improving on OEM.

Why do F1 cars have big wide wheels if skinny is better?????

Seriously, heard that a million times before and yes it makes a small difference but the standard 17's aren’t exactly slim anyway.

It's a silly debate IMO, I hear the same thing on all forums and tbh with the right set of wheels are you are doing is improving on OEM.

Why do F1 cars have big wide wheels if skinny is better?????

Its much better to have narrow tyres in the snow and wet. U never seen a 1.0l corsa go up a hill you couldn't? I have ;)

The problem is most people assume that making the tyre wider gives a bigger footprint area when it doesn't.

To be fair, there is no debate on the facts buddy. The facts are the facts, the only debate is when people don't know the facts ;)

Its alllllll physics.

Its much better to have narrow tyres in the snow and wet. U never seen a 1.0l corsa go up a hill you couldn't? I have ;)

The problem is most people assume that making the tyre wider gives a bigger footprint area when it doesn't.

To be fair, there is no debate on the facts buddy. The facts are the facts, the only debate is when people don't know the facts ;)

Its alllllll physics.

That is all back to front. ;)

Next I go drag racing I’ll be sure to run some Corsa 145 – 60 R 14’s then and see how the tiny footprint helps me get traction off then line.

Who drives Supra’s in the snow anyway?

I’m not talking about snow climbing, where talking about out right grip and handling,

FACT skinny tires do not cut it, I really don’t think people like Ferrari have been getting it wrong all these years!

Wide is not always better on UK roads. Sure at the strip and on the track and with appropriate geo changes it can be better, but since nobody who 'throws on a sweet set of rims' EVER checks the geo after, its generally worse.

Stop thinking Gran Turismo and get back into the real world.

Wide is not always better on UK roads. Sure at the strip and on the track and with appropriate geo changes it can be better, but since nobody who 'throws on a sweet set of rims' EVER checks the geo after, its generally worse.

Stop thinking Gran Turismo and get back into the real world.

Right so you admit that a bigger surface area will give you more traction thanks.

At not one point did I debate the effects of weather, however that’s all people talk about on here?

More width and a softer compound tyre equals more grip that is simple physics.

Edited by NeoMagic (see edit history)

Right so you admit that a bigger surface area will give you more traction

No i said that as long as the Geo is checked and adjusted to suit then it CAN give more traction

At not one point did I debate the effects of weather, however that’s all people talk about on here?

We live in England.

More width and a softer compound tyre equals more grip that is simple physics.

On a perfect road, we dont have many perfect roads in England, hence i said on a track, and hence my Gran Turismo comment.

17 to 18, none of us if the Geo is setup will feel the difference. Unfortunatly we dont and probably shouldnt push our cars to the limit on the road :) if going on the track the differences will be more noticeable.

19" and 20" are crap only an idiot would have those sizes :D

Edited by Whitesupraboy2 (see edit history)