The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rust! Options?

AlexM

I have had the rust on my white Supra investigated, and it's actually worse than I thought :(.

There's rust around the bottom and inside edge of both doors, with the drivers side looking like it has previously been repaired. There's also the normal rust spot on the boot (which I was aware of). I WAS thinking of getting it all repaired, until I had the quote through today.. £722.90 :faint:

What options do I have? Can I leave it and eventually replace the doors/boot from a scrappy? Is it possible to get new panels? If I had more money I'd look at CF but I know that's rather cost prohibitive :tongue:. I could have it repaired of course, but it's a lot of money to spend on what could just be a temporary fix :rolleyes:.

I have half a mind to remove the skirts and spats and go back to mostly oem look (though remove the spoiler too), wonder what I'd find under there.. (more rust?)

What colour of car do you have and what mileage, I can honestly say either Toyota were very good at rust protection or my respray must have been fab but after inspecting the under body aswell my heat sheilds barely had any rust on them!

How did rust appear on the boot lid:blink:

Just get it repaired properly thats if your keeping the car, CF whether wetlay or dry will probably be about the same value of your car!

I have had the rust on my white Supra investigated

What colour of car do you have

:D

and what mileage, I can honestly say either Toyota were very good at rust protection or my respray must have been fab but after inspecting the under body aswell my heat sheilds barely had any rust on them!

How did rust appear on the boot lid:blink:

Just get it repaired properly thats if your keeping the car, CF whether wetlay or dry will probably be about the same value of your car!

It's just over 60,000 miles. I think the doors have happened as a result of rubbing on the skirts, must have been quite well rusted when I picked it up from the previous owner already - never noticed. The bootlid is a common one, bottom middle of the rear window there's a rust spot.

I'm currently thinking of keeping the car mainly for doing track days and next years sprint series, with the odd bit of tootling around now and then. It's definitely not a show car (It doesn't touch the red one :cool: ). I don't want to spend £700 fixing a 3-4k car, only for it to reappear a few months later - especially if there's a cheaper or more permanent option.. :)

Guest CoolsBlue

leave it for the time mate, and keep you eyes out for 2 door shells, get them painted to match and on a weekend transfer all the bits to the new doors and refit, i presonally wouldnt want rust on my supra doors matey, get it done the rite way, check jez out he should have a few:)

Join detailing world(http://www.detailingworld.com) if you have some spare time and a spare couple of hundred quid you could just try fixing it yourself there is plenty of advice and tips on there

There is a comprehensive S14A Refurb thread that deals with a lot of rust issues!

HTH

I'll take a look over there, there is another minor spot of rust under the edge of one skirt - I can have a shot at that if nothing else :).

Have you though about using 'Tipp-ex' it will be a perfect colour match and only 99p from Savers?

You just try coming near my car with Tipp-ex :p.

leave it for the time mate, and keep you eyes out for 2 door shells, get them painted to match and on a weekend transfer all the bits to the new doors and refit, i presonally wouldnt want rust on my supra doors matey, get it done the rite way, check jez out he should have a few:)

Thanks for that, I'll pop Jezz a message.

Where did you get the quote from? (PM if you prefer)

Micar bodies in Southam did the quote (they do all the police cars around here & are an authorised Mazda & Toyota bodyshop) . I've heard good things about them but it's just more than I'm prepared to pay for a rust job. There's another bodyshop on this estate apparently, might get a quote there just to see what they say.

Stratford is quite a run for me Lee, I'll see what options are available to me before I burn some liquid gold to get over there for a quote :D.