The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric shocks from the Supra

Pete

How come after driving (not just the Supra) everytime in the last couple of weeks I get out and touch the door I get a static shock?

It's starting to get annoying now.

If you will insist on wearing nylon underpants, then try touching the outside of the car before you get out.

Interesting IT fact for some people. The ideal computer room/data centre should not have 0% humidity (okay not possible), because a low humidity environment causes more dust particles to be present in the air causing static hence the shock, which with IT gear isn't good :)

Interesting IT fact for some people. The ideal computer room/data centre should not have 0% humidity (okay not possible), because a low humidity environment causes more dust particles to be present in the air causing static hence the shock, which with IT gear isn't good :)

There seems to be plenty of opinions on what is the idea humidity. We aim for about 30%.

The carpet is anti static aswell

Am I being stupid by wondering if this is sometimes down to the tyres...

Quite a safe place to be during a thunderstorm etc. Just don't get out during it though!

I get it all the time, but it will be worse on low humidity days I'd thought.

But I might be wrong :)

Edited by AndrewOW
Common knowledge. (see edit history)

The secret is to grasp some metal part of the car (through paint is fine) BEFORE putting your feet on the floor. You won't feel the static discharge that way as the area of skin contact is a lot greater and you don't get the kilovolt spark jumping across. Same with electric fences, grab them and grip them and you can look like Superman :)

The secret is to grasp some metal part of the car (through paint is fine) BEFORE putting your feet on the floor. You won't feel the static discharge that way as the area of skin contact is a lot greater and you don't get the kilovolt spark jumping across. Same with electric fences, grab them and grip them and you can look like Superman :)

Sounds reasonable, I'll give it a try. (Not the Superman thing)

That isn't quite what happened to my mother when she touched an electric fence while rambling once... the shock knocked her off balance and she slipped and landed face down in a boggy field.... (I couldn't help but snigger :p)

That isn't quite what happened to my mother when she touched an electric fence while rambling once... the shock knocked her off balance and she slipped and landed face down in a boggy field.... (I couldn't help but snigger :p)

I think that's the point, she didn't grip it.

Poor mumsy.