The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best place to purchase a roll cage

Rich

Interested in this as well, as I'm after a cage myself.

As your is fro track use, Paul wouldf be the best bet surely? as it would be custome 8 point and built for the purpose it may have to be used !! other than a bolt in show cage

I'm currently toying with the idea of building one into the car from scratch.

In that case you could talk to these two companies ;)

http://www.customcages.co.uk

http://www.safetydevices.com/

If you are concerned about weight you could have it made in T45 instead of CDS.

Here is another company and the prices I was quoted.

http://www.ppcages.com/

Material : CDS or T45

FIA : made to spec but not homologated

CDS £1000 6-point black

T45 £1400 6-point black 30% lighter twice as strong

In that case you could talk to these two companies ;)

http://www.customcages.co.uk

http://www.safetydevices.com/

If you are concerned about weight you could have it made in T45 instead of CDS.

Here is another company and the prices I was quoted.

http://www.ppcages.com/

Material : CDS or T45

FIA : made to spec but not homologated

CDS £1000 6-point black

T45 £1400 6-point black 30% lighter twice as strong

Here's the thing...

I've got a very good fabricator to hand as well as the equipment to cut, shape the pipes.

It will more than likely be T45 because of the cost of the raw material isn't overly different.

Obviously it won't be to spec, but it is for a track day use. I'm half tempted to buy a cage, make a copy and sell it on, but at £1000 for a cage it is a pricey 'hire'

For track days a DIY or imported cage, weld or bolt in is OK, for UK race usage an FIA certified cage is mandatory, a different ball game.

Well, lets be honest a supra NA is never going to be a serious race car (not within my budget), so it just for a track day car for fun...hence the reason for begrudging £1400 on a roll cage :)

DIY is the way forward I reckon then, would just like to find someone kind enough to loan me a cage for a day to get an idea of design from. :)

I'm sure a cusco will set you back around that, but you dont really want doglegs - unless you fancy modifying your expensive showy cage(What I have done)

CW is right though, there are cages then there are cages, most people for the street will do it for chasis enhancement, the supra chasis is very stiff to begin with tho so not really needed

The actual design of the cage is pretty straight forward, as long as its planted(bolted or welded) to the chasis legs and strut turrets you will be on to a winner within reason

I wouldnt be too keen on the mounting points of that ppg, starting from the front, I gather someone has welded in blocks to the chasis legs there as they arent there on a standard sup - if your going to weld why not just weld the cage?

The mounts dont do much for natural chasis twist if they come from up top, most cages I have seen prevent it from the side of the legs rather than the top

In the middle its a pretty vulnerable position unless sole impact from the roof, again nothing for chasis leg twist

Then the rears are just mounting points - maybe enhanced with welds but the mounting plates are a bit to be desired, how much is that cage?

If you look at the Cusco or the Whifbitz cars you will see what I mean of the mounting positions, I'm not too keen on the rears of both the whifbitz cars or my cusco tho, it could do the job better if it was welded to the turrets, but functional in terms of safety

On closer inspection the best part about the ppg is the rear mounts, if only they had formed a full ring, I initially thought they came in at an angle

Edited by bolarbag (see edit history)

Is there any reason why the PP cage couldnt be welded in place

No it would be better installed that way, but if you look at the mounting positions in the middle and the front they would be best modified(Even when welding) also which defeats the purpose of the kit cage in the first place

The mounts dont do much for natural chasis twist if they come from up top, most cages I have seen prevent it from the side of the legs rather than the top

In the middle its a pretty vulnerable position unless sole impact from the roof, again nothing for chasis leg twist

I cant find pics to show what I mean, anyone have any pics of the Whifbitz cars stripped and cage only? Or any other of mounts that connect to the floor and the chasis legs?

Do pretty much all sorts.

I can do branded ones from Cusco and Carbing. We also do half cages like the Envy cars (imported from the US), or I can do full custom ones in T45 or CDS (or a mix of both) to FIA or whatever standard you like.

Do you have any prices for T45 cages, do you need the car or can you supply kits to have welded in?

Do you have any prices for T45 cages, do you need the car or can you supply kits to have welded in?

Hi Wez,

It depends on the points obviously, but starts at £1600 for an 8 point cage.

We need the car do custom cages (T45/CDS) yeah...

Best Regards,

Gaz.