The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering prob

dannysupratt

Hi my car has not been started for a few months because it is being sprayed, when i got the car started the battery kept cutting out but i had power steering.

When i got it started again for some reason the power steering has gone, it makes a whining noise still when you turn it and it still revs up but it has just gone really heavy.

Has anyone got any ideas

thanks

Lack of fluid or air in the system. Start it up and slowly turn from lock to lock whilst you have the power steering cap off. Best if you can make it a 2 man job, then you can watch for air bubbles whilst the other person turns the wheel. Top up the fluid if needed, once the air is out it will stop whining.

If it happens again after sitting for a few days then you might well have a leak.

Start it up and slowly turn from lock to lock whilst you have the power steering cap off.

from experience i will say thats a bad idea, unless you like cleaning up power steering fluid;)

iirc leaks at the pipe connection to the pump is fairly common, waits to be corrected:D

EDIT:by common i dont mean all supe's, just the ones with powersteering probs are mainly down to this or a naffed pump :)

from experience i will say thats a bad idea, unless you like cleaning up power steering fluid;)

iirc leaks at the pipe connection to the pump is fairly common, waits to be corrected:D

EDIT:by common i dont mean all supe's, just the ones with powersteering probs are mainly down to this or a naffed pump :)

i HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH MINE THE O RING HAD GONE OFF AND CAUSED IT TO DRAG AIR IN THE SYSTEM